Only running on choke now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only running on choke now

Just got this 1980 gs1000g it sat for about 5 years i replaced the battery drained the old gas added some seafoam to the gas and the bike will only run on choke starts right up but if u touch the throttle or the choke it dies carbs need to be rebuilt?

Yep. Follow the carb rebuild/cleaning procedures to a T (you'll find those in Basscliff's welcome package he gave you).
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

welcome package?

Comment

Calling Basscliff.
        (He is probably at Church or riding his GS. Same thing.) He will be right along soon...
        Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

The tutorial is also available in the GS Garage section on the home page of this site.

Basically it will entail removing everything from the carb bodies, splitting the rack apart, removing the old o rings from the jets, adjustment screws and inlet valve seat. Then SOAKING all jets, empty bodies, float bowls and fuel tubes in berrymans carb dip (or something as effective) for at least 24 hours. Then spraying every orifice with carb spray and compressed air, clean all passages with copper wire strands to break up anything chunky the dip didn't get (especially in the choke pickup tube and emulsion tube) and then reassembling with fresh new orings from www.cycleorings.com (only bout $15) and putting them back on the bike. Not tough. The tutorial is quite helpful however in showing you how to do it without destroying anything

Comment

The carbs probably don't need to be rebuilt in the context of installing a rebuild kit. The fact is that installation of a rebuild kit will replace parts that don't need replacing, but without addressing the problem. The main thing wrong is a plugged up pilot circuit, judging by your symptoms. A kit will have a pilot jet usually, but yours is plugged, not ruined. Replacing the clogged jet will not clean the rest of the pilot circuit though, which is also at least partly clogged. The pilot circuit includes a number of passages in the carb, as well as some other components. The kit also comes with only a small fraction of the O Rings that should be replaced in the carb.

So, buy an O Ring kit from Robert Barr. Dismantle and clean the carbs per the tutorial on Cliff's web site. Replace the O rings at the joint between the cylinder head and the carb mount intake boots. Seal up the airbox, and you should be good to go. The GS850 workshop manual on Cliff's site has a pretty good section on how the CV carbs on your bike actually work.

While you are in there, you can look at the jets and the needle that are installed and see if they are are stock, or if they have been changed to (hopefully) work with the pipe.

You probably will find out very soon that you need a fuel petcock as well.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My estimation, since he stated that it sat with gas in it, is that stale gas varnishes every micro millimeter of every passage, port, needle and jets. The wisest thing to do so he only has to do it once and save a bunch of unneeded problems is to do exactly as Josh said. FULL 100% tear down, berrymans soak, poke the holes, all of the above. Why fix one thing..put them on and find another thing..take them on and off dozen times to eventually do the whole thing right anyways. And dont get a REBUILD kit. Just get the full oring kit from Cycleorings.com and redo the carbs right..one time and be done with it.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post

You probably will find out very soon that you need a fuel petcock as well.
                to late its allready leaking a slight bit hahaa

Comment

Originally posted by Mental2 View Post
                  to late its allready leaking a slight bit hahaa
                  That's not good. There is no "overflow" on those carbs. So when the petcock leaks, it will well up in the carb throats, and dump into your cylinders and crankcase. If enough gas ends up in the cylinders and you attempt to start it, it will hydrolock and could snap con rods. Worse still is that NOT happening, you not realizing it's leaking and the gas washing down your bearings and ruining the motor. Either way, not good. Replacement petcocks are available for around $45. Rebuild kits are not worth the effort and have a 10-15% success rate in general. Replace. In this case it's the better thing to do.

Comment

I figure when i pull the carbs ill get a new petcock for it to for now im just gonna let it sit till i get some free time to pull it apart,btw do u have to remove the airbox to get the carbs off?

Comment

I figure when i pull the carbs ill get a new petcock for it to for now im just gonna let it sit till i get some free time to pull it apart,btw do u have to remove the airbox to get the carbs off?
                      Might as well pull lots of stuff off to see if mice have taken up residence. Take some pics before you fly at it- this will help in reassembly. No shortcuts! Do it right or do it twice.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes. That is only 2 gmm bolts on the top though, which have captive nuts, and the 4 clamps on the intake side of the carbs. It couldn't be much easier.

There is a vent hose from the valve cover that goes into the top of it, which can be disconnected without tools, and some vent tubes routed thtough lools on the back of the airbox, which also don't need tools.

10mm socket and a phillips is all.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

allmost forgot to ask when i take these completly apart and put them back toghter wont they need to be synced?

I dont have a tool for that.

Comment

Put your location in your profile so it shows up in the upper left corner of your posts and there might be someone close by who can come help you synch them.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X