cleaned carbs still boggs down in first 1/4 throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaned carbs still boggs down in first 1/4 throttle

I have a 79 gs 850. I have taken the carbs off boiled the bodies ,blown them out with air , replaced o-rings and gaskets, cleaned jets and it still doesn't want to run without the choke on. It also doesn't run on all cylinders until you take it out and get in the upper range of the throttle. It's getting spark on all four cylinders and has new points and condensers. A friend of mine suggest that the valve shims might be worn and causing the valves not to open. ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It still sounds like carbs.

What do you mean by "boiled"? Are the float levels correct? Is the air box on it and sealed up? I was surprized that the air box sealing made a big difference on the '79 850 I sold to my nephew. i thought that the sensivity was pretty much an '80 or newer thing.
    Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I stripped the bodies of all parts and boiled them in vinegar and water ( douched them LOL). I had read an article that said to try that. The air box is on with new oiled filter
      Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Did you replace the intake O-rings?

Comment

Aren't the idle screws responsible for the 1st 1/4 of throttle? Meh I dunno how far and cannot find that mikuni guide anywhere.
          If so what have are your at?

As for shim wear we all know that the valves are the first thing you adjust.
          An if it is not contributing to the problem it couldn't hoit to do em anyway.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. booger66,

Pay close attention. I'm about to dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

N I didn't but I'll try that, thanks

Comment

When I did the valves on my 650, it stopped the stalling and chuggy Idle problems and all the vibration issues I was having.

Your valves actually can cause idle problems and stalling, and lower RPM problems, without a doubt.

Whether or not they Actually ARE.....?
                Don't really know.

But I know my bike ran 50% better after I did mine.

Also, make sure the mixture screws are set right, that can definitely make it run like crap at Idle.

Your pilot jet(idle jet) is responsible for around 0-3000rpm's, I believe.....or very close.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks , it sounds like I'll be doing the valves this weekend. I also have a 82 gs 650 but that one is in a basket, someday I'll get to it

Comment

test the coils, make sure they are within specs. Make sure you are getting at least 11 volts to the coils, if not do the coil mod. If you measure the floats when putting it back together they should be close enough to run fairly well (nothing beats using the clear hose method). How did you synch the carbs?? if you haven't vacuum synched them it will run like crap. Read through Cliffs site, all you answers are in there.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                    X