Fuel sender knocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel sender knocking?

I am trying to pin point a knocking noise i can hear while riding my bike (80 1000G), it seems to come from the tank or under it.
    I have tightened anything that looked loose or suspect but i still hear it, it seems to happen when i back off, definitely not under power.
    I was thinking when the fuel sloshes about it maybe bouncing the sender, but from what i remember it had stops on it to prevent that.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Well, honestly it could be anything. I thought I had a similar problem with knocking coming from the engine until I found a loose spacer this winter. I hope that will do it.

Just really look around and make sure you don't have any hangers, bolts, spacers, etc loose before you go tearing into the engine.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I think my old GR tank did that. But only with a full or almost empty tank.

Could try unbolting the tank and shaking it a little.

Comment

Adjust your cam chain.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, it definitely isnt an engine knocking, i should have stated that more clearly, sorry!
          I just checked the cam chain when i did my valves less than 100km ago.
          The fuel tank is quite empty now, but i noticed it with about half a tank of fuel.
          It was a full rebuild of the bike, except the engine(if that makes sense?) i havent put enough Km's on it to fully diagnose the problem, but it sounds like something knocking on the tank.
          I have cabled tied anything that i thought could be knocking on the underside of the tank to try to eliminate the problem/find the solution, but nothing yet.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this before i pull the tank off again.

Comment

Probably a bad diaphram in the petcock.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You know, there are quite a few folks in your neck of the woods. Have you rang Pete, Suzuki_Don, or Simon Kuether about it to see if they could come by? Those are the only names I can think of right now but I'm sure another set of eyes might help find it.

That or post a video of it happening.
              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 03-30-2011, 12:50 AM. Reason: Corrected Spelling for Simon's name

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                You know, there are quite a few folks in your neck of the woods. Have you rang Pete, Suzuki_Don, or Simon keuther about it to see if they could come by? Those are the only names I can think of right now but I'm sure another set of eyes might help find it.

That or post a video of it happening.
                Simon and Don are only about 1000km away, give or take
                Just joking, Simons probably about 1600!

Its nothing i can find, just trying to eliminate 1 thing at a time.
                Hard to video it, as i dont think the camera would pick it up with the wind noise?
                Thanks for the suggestion though.

Chef,
                I just replaced a new aftermarket petcock that leaked with a new genuine one, same noise before and after.
                Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
                  Simon and Don are only about 1000km away, give or take
                  Just joking, Simons probably about 1600!
                  A measly day's drive...phhbbttt. Nothing for a mere mortal like you...

Understand about the wind (I get some bad ones here) but I wasn't sure if you had a garage to put the bike in or not.

Cheers.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    A measly day's drive...phhbbttt. Nothing for a mere mortal like you...

Understand about the wind (I get some bad ones here) but I wasn't sure if you had a garage to put the bike in or not.

Cheers.
                    It only makes the noise when riding, and never under throttle. This is why i think it may have something to do with the fuel sloshing about and making the sender bounce.

Even shaking the bike while still will not cause the noise, running or not.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post

Its nothing i can find, just trying to eliminate 1 thing at a time.
                      That should have read : its nothing i cant find.

Comment

Working...
                      X