Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just rebuilt Carbs on my gs850g, bogging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    As far as installing an AFR set up, its your bike and your money, spend it however you want, but a DJ kit isn't "plug and play", it requires tuning based on your set up, state of tune, altitude etc. Which is why it has adjustable needles. Jets are jets... Mains don't even enter into it until 3/4 throttle...
    Why is this so hard for everyone to understand????
    Hi,

I understand Mr. TCK, really I do.

Mr. NOS, I just spoke with rapidray today and he has 5 sets of adjustable needles in stock (for about half the price of a full DJ kit). Yes, jets are jets, but with the special notched and tapered needles it will make tuning the midrange much easier.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NOS View Post
      I will purchase the DJ kit Stage 3. I hope it works with my cheep ebay pods.
      One more thing, the cheap Ebay pods don't do much filtering, don't flow much air, and are very inconsistent and therefore difficult to tune. K&N, or a K&N clone are much better. Rapid Ray sells needles alone, not sure if he has them for your 850G.
      The 850 is the heaviest of the shaft drive GSes, by the way. I like them, a lot of us do, but for racing? Not so much.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        One more thing, the cheap Ebay pods don't do much filtering, don't flow much air, and are very inconsistent and therefore difficult to tune. K&N, or a K&N clone are much better. Rapid Ray sells needles alone, not sure if he has them for your 850G.
        The 850 is the heaviest of the shaft drive GSes, by the way. I like them, a lot of us do, but for racing? Not so much.

Thanks so much guys for the needles info! However i already purchased the DJ kit for $99 on eBay.

Thanks for the info about the pods. The pods i got are called Wstandard. I guess ill set them aside and find some K&N's

Is it really heavy? Seems kinda lite to me but its my first street bike. I realy love the bulyness of it and i seem to flick it around pretty easy. Actually the Big Bulkyness of it is what attracted me to the bike. Why is it so heavy? Even heavier than a 1000???

Do they make a bulky GS like mine in a 1100? Id like to get another one of these, maybe a bit faster but i want it to be big and bulky like mine with the big tank!

Comment

1000G, 1100GT, all heavy shaft drives bikes and all lighter than the 850.
          You want big bulky and lighter get an 1100E from 1980 - 1981, oh I forgot to mention they are much faster, too.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            1000G, 1100GT, all heavy shaft drives bikes and all lighter than the 850.
            You want big bulky and lighter get an 1100E from 1980 - 1981, oh I forgot to mention they are much faster, too.
            And one other thing NOS, even though I don't run pods I constantly read the articles on here about them. Know that not every pod reacts the same so keep that in mind when doing your testing. Like TCK and others said, it will be a lot of trial and error - just keep going at it.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 02:01 AM.

Comment

No, the frames are the same. The 850 engine is heavier than the bigger ones. All of the shaft drive frames and engines are a lot heavier than the equivalent chain drive model..

Comment

The frame is a twin down tube full cradle design of heavy steel which makes The GS850 so strong that it actually weighs more than the GS1000 (practically the same identical motorcycle with a bigger engine). ---- Taken from website....

Holly smokes i didnt know that. This 850 is really a amazing bike! I found a really interesting website about it....

http://www.motorcyclememoir.com/motorcycle
                Hi,

That's Chris's (shirazdrum) website. He's on an around the world trip on his GS850G. I think he's somewhere in the Amazon at the moment. My GS850GT weighs almost 600 pounds wet. The 1000G is at least 50 pounds lighter. In your "mega-welcome" there are links to a lot of informational sites. Such as:

http://www.suzukicycles.org
                Motorcycle Specifications Overviews and Road Tests

http://www.bikez.com
                http://www.bikepics.com/
                http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/

I'm not familiar with the Wstandard pod filters. Usually the APE and the K&N are the favorites around here. Keep us informed of your progress. I'm less than an hour north of you. Perhaps we can get together for a ride or a wrenching session sometime.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

GS850GT weighs almost 600 pounds wet. The 1000G is at least 50 pounds lighter. In your "mega-welcome" there are links to a lot of informational sites. Such as:

BassCliff
                  According to the old magazines I have collected, I think a 1000G is only about 15 pounds lighter than a '79 850G, and about half of that lighter than an '80/'81.

I will certainly aggree that an 850G is a great bike. People manage to kill them occasionally, but it must be difficult.

If you want to cross a continenent on a bike you can buy for under a grand every day, I don't think you can beat an 850G. Anything else and the bike might be the adventure instead of the ride being the adventure.

Even the "notorious" electrical systems aren't that bad once you fix the corroded connections and bad grounds, in my experience.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    According to the old magazines I have collected, I think a 1000G is only about 15 pounds lighter than a '79 850G, and about half of that lighter than an '80/'81. ...
                    And, if I recall correctly, the 1100 is about 10 pounds lighter than the same year 850. That makes the 850 the heaviest GS made, until you look at the 1100GK, which added about 50-60 pounds of fairing, saddlebags and trunk.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the '80/'81 850G and 1000G have the same part number on the frame.
                    The '82/'83 850G and 1100G also share a frame with the same part number, but it's different than the earlier years.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

some help?

Hey NOS,

I just pm'd you, don't know if it went through. I live a couple of miles away off the 57, and if you need another ear and some tuning experience, feel free to have me over!

Comment

Originally posted by talkinboutshaft View Post
                        Hey NOS,

I just pm'd you, don't know if it went through. I live a couple of miles away off the 57, and if you need another ear and some tuning experience, feel free to have me over!
                        @talkinboutshaft @BassCliff
                        Thanks guys thats really swell of you to offer! My Birthday is comming up , not this saturday but the one after on April 23rd. It would be the best present ever if i could get my GS running that day. I can provide grilled Burgers and Grilled Hot Dogs and some good beer. Would anyone like to come down on that day to help me install my fresh carbs, exhaust and tune my bike? Im 1 block from Disneyland. Everyone is welcome to come!

I just got my Dyno , Jet Kit and im going to buy more bolts, im replacing all the philips bolts with staneless alen heads so i can wrench on them easier.

Comment

@talkinboutshaft @BassCliff
                          Thanks guys thats really swell of you to offer! My Birthday is comming up , not this saturday but the one after on April 23rd. It would be the best present ever if i could get my GS running that day. I can provide grilled Burgers and Grilled Hot Dogs and some good beer. Would anyone like to come down on that day to help me install my fresh carbs, exhaust and tune my bike? Im 1 block from Disneyland. Everyone is welcome to come!

I just got my Dyno , Jet Kit and im going to buy more bolts, im replacing all the philips bolts with staneless alen heads so i can wrench on them easier.

Dogs, burgers and beer? I'm there!!!!

Oh wait.....

I cant believe that thing aint running(right) yet.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post

Oh wait.....

yeah i know i wish i had more time to work on it but in this economy i been working hard just to get new customers. I do try to plan project days whenever i get a chance to take a break. At least once i get it running i can run around town on it instead of my gas guzzling van!

Comment

Hi Mr. NOS,

I'll see what I can do about the 23rd. It sounds like fun.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                                Hi Mr. NOS,

I'll see what I can do about the 23rd. It sounds like fun.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Oh wait.....

Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X