GS650L standard air filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650L standard air filter?

Hi, just bought a GS650L in need of TLC ! Anyway, it was only after riding it 100 miles home that I discovered that no air filter was installed!! My question is, will a new air filter come the plastic cage support thing (I rang up a supplier and they couldnt say) as this is missing too. I cant see it on the Suzuki microfiche as a separate part so my guess is yes?? Thanks.

it doesn't come with the filter, and it's discontinued from suzuki. I've been looking on Ebay for an air box that still has the cage piece inside and have come up empty so far. Seems a lot of people are missing this part.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
      it doesn't come with the filter, and it's discontinued from suzuki. I've been looking on Ebay for an air box that still has the cage piece inside and have come up empty so far. Seems a lot of people are missing this part.
      But it would still be shown on the microfiche as other discontined parts are no? Crazy if you cant get the cage anymore - will have to go over to pods if this is the case I guess :-(

Comment

Check Ebay and the scrap yards or post in the parts wanted section.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
          Is this true? Last stock oem filter I purchased had a cage on inside, but that was several years ago. I checked with several sources and it appears that the filter is still available.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
            Is this true? Last stock oem filter I purchased had a cage on inside, but that was several years ago. I checked with several sources and it appears that the filter is still available.
            The filter yes, the cage it slides onto I can't find. I called Z1 and they couldn't help either. I have a wire clothes hanger in there right now. If you've found a filter that comes with the cage please post up! It's a commonly lost part

Comment

Yea, the cage is made of unobtanium now unless you hit Ebay, the parts wrecker, or someone here who might have an extra.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I know they don't list a separate part number for the cage, I searched years ago for one to use with my aftermarket Uni. I purchased a stock one awhile ago and it came with cage, so I just figured if filter was still available from Suzuki then it still came with cage. Even when I purchased it, the dealer couldn't confirm it.

My Uni stayed in place without cage, but most likely wasn't properly fitted. Bike ran fine. Not so sure that airbox sealing is critical with 650 G models.

Comment

Originally posted by XTlegend View Post
                  But it would still be shown on the microfiche as other discontined parts are no? Crazy if you cant get the cage anymore - will have to go over to pods if this is the case I guess :-(
                  Pods, just for lack of a cage? no thanks. The ebay strippers throw the greasy filter/cage away probably thinking you get one with new filter. Easy to make one out of wire mesh-just a little trial and error! It just has to keep foam filter from collapsing.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X