Correct petcock for 1980 550e ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct petcock for 1980 550e ?

I've been reading these post for a few years now gaining some knowlege about the GS bikes. I have a 1980 550E and a 1981 1100E.
    You guys have an incredable amount of knowlege about these bikes and I really need to get a definitive answer.
    I've been laboring with this in my mind for a couple of years now.
    I have a 1980 550E, the poor thing had a leaky petcock so I took it to a local vintage MC shop and asked to have it fixed.
    They fixed it.
    After they fixed it I noticed the petcock and hoses looked different, but I didn't/don't know the difference so I dismissed it.
    Starting the bike is mildly stressful in that it fires fine but starts very
    s l o w l y, finally building up speed and running normally.
    Once running it runs smooth, no hesitations, good throttle reponse.
    The petcock on the bike now has no prime just run and reserve.
    Recently I thought perhaps the wrong petcock was put on and is not working properly on a vacum system.
    So I ordered a suzuki petcock ( 1980 550E ) from Cycle Design part no. 44300 49172.
    I recieved the part today and lo and behold it has only 2 positions, no prime.
    Do I have the correct petcock for this bike? And if not do es anyone know the correct part number?
    Thanks

You sir, have the dreaded '80 petcock. As far as I know all of the '80 bikes had them. There is no prime. Do a search for "dreaded petcock" or "80 petcock" there's a bunch of threads about it.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I believe you have the correct part. I just replaced the petcock on my 1980 GS550E with the same part (44300-49172).

It does have a prime - just not as easy to use. The prime is the gold/brass screw. Loosening the screw causes the fuel to flow without the vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by scott View Post
        I believe you have the correct part. I just replaced the petcock on my 1980 GS550E with the same part (44300-49172).

It does have a prime - just not as easy to use. The prime is the gold/brass screw. Loosening the screw causes the fuel to flow without the vacuum.

yep. same as mine. 1980 gs550e.

Comment

Well, thankyou gentlemen !
          I'll look to see if the petcock on the bike now, is like the one I just recieved. Now I may have a brand new part I don't really need.
          Damn dreaded 80 petcock..........
          even so, everytime I get on this forum I learn something.
          Can't say that about everything I do

Thanks again

Comment

The 1980 550E is the only bike I've seen with that style petcock. I suppose it came on other bikes too but most 1980 GS bikes received the lever less petcock I suspect Larry was referring too.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              You sir, have the dreaded '80 petcock. As far as I know all of the '80 bikes had them. There is no prime. Do a search for "dreaded petcock" or "80 petcock" there's a bunch of threads about it.
              Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              The 1980 550E is the only bike I've seen with that style petcock. I suppose it came on other bikes too but most 1980 GS bikes received the lever less petcock I suspect Larry was referring too.
              Not sure about the 1000G, but my 850G has a "normal" petcock.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, the leverless one is the one I thought he had, Ed.

I've never seen one with a brass screw PRI.....

I learn something new here all the time too.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

My 81 1100e has a normal (prime) petcock, works like a charm.
                  I looked again at the petcock that was fixed/replaced on the 550 and it has no prime and no brass screw for prime so the new one I just recieved with the brass screw prime will hopefully work better.

again thanks !

Comment

Working...
                  X