Fuel tank bolt size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank bolt size

The bolt that runs into the back of the fuel tank to bolt it to the frame was not on the bike I got it. Any ideas what size it is so I can go get a new one?

Mine has a 13mm head, so I think that makes it 10mm coarse thread (I think, not positive there), anyway, the metric equivalent of a 3/8" bolt. My mind isn't pulling that stuff out of the murky recesses at the moment, but it may point you in the right direction.

Comment

I do not know much about machine screws and bolts but the part number is
      01500-08307

the second half of this decomposes to reveal 8x30?

Comment

Is is just a bolt and a nut going through the tab on the tank and the frame, or does it bolt straight into the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          01500-08307

Correct. Most of the stock numbers for bolts have the size embedded in them. 8mm x 30mm in length.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Is is just a bolt and a nut going through the tab on the tank and the frame, or does it bolt straight into the frame?
              Take a look where it goes. My 750L has a captured nut that the bolt.....uhmmm....bolts to with some rubber washers. If it's been jacked with, just get a bolt and nut that fits. As long as the tank is secure, it doesn't matter all that much.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                01500-08307

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                Correct. Most of the stock numbers for bolts have the size embedded in them. 8mm x 30mm in length.
                Perfect, thanks!

Comment

As long as the tank is secure, it doesn't matter all that much
                  And even if it isn't, it doesn't really matter either, my bike has lived half of its 30 years without that bolt, no problems, the rubbers in the front and the seat holding it down at the back hold it pretty snug.

Comment

Mike .. tank bolts go into a nut that is welded into the mounting area on the frame.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      And even if it isn't, it doesn't really matter either, my bike has lived half of its 30 years without that bolt, no problems, the rubbers in the front and the seat holding it down at the back hold it pretty snug.
                      Yeah, mine is relatively secure right now, but I figure I might as well snug it down when I get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X