450 carbs on a 425.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 carbs on a 425.

So, the carbs on the gs425 are slightly different than the gs400 and gs450. O-rings for the mixture screw are non-existent. I have discovered that the mixture screws from a xs650 are identical but the "mixture screw w/O-ring" as advertised didnt come with orings. If all else fails is there any reason why the carbs form a gs450 wouldnt work on the gs425. also my cousin has a kawasaki kz400 with keihn carbs. any reason why those wouldnt work?

79 gs425

If you order the kit for the GS400/450 for cycleorings.com you get all you need for a good rebuild. I did, and everything fit fine. If anything you may have extra stuff.

Comment

I just pulled this thread up via the search function.

In the clymer manual it says...

All models are equipped with twin Mikuni BS 34 carburetors.
      What I am gathering from this posting is that there are actually slight differences between the 400/425/450 carbs.

Is that the case?

The reason I ask is that I effed up the starter feed tube jet on my original carb bodies.

You can read more about that on my blog if you'd like.

And I am looking for a replacement rack of carbs for my GS. The local bone yard has a set off a GS 450 they'd sell me for $100 but I am concerned about compatibility.

Any input anyone may have would be appreciated.

Comment

Chances are they both use the same size carb, just with slight differences in jetting. I would try them as is first

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, I still have the old ones so as long as there isn't something funky with the starter feed tube jet on the 450 Vs. the 425 I should be okay. I do think I will try the new rack with all its stock stuff first to just to see though

Comment

Turns out the boneyard had a set for a 79 425 so it's not an issue now, but these suckers are way more gummed up than my original ones were

Comment

Working...
            X