Bike will not idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike will not idle

Hey I have a quick question about my bike.

Back in November I had a TON of maintenance done on my bike. The carbs were synched, the bowl gaskets and manifold seals were replaced, the petcock valve was replaced, and the drive chain and sprockets were replaced.

Now Im having another issue I would think is a problem with the carbs. The bike has a very hard time starting. Sometimes it wont start with the electric ignition, but it will with the kick start. Sometimes its the other way around. If the bike stalls, it takes it even longer to start up again.

I also have to hold the throttle the entire time I'm riding. If I stop at a street light, and I let go of the throttle, the bike will stall after a few seconds.

I adjusted the throttle up in hopes that the bikes idle speed was just too low, but that doesn't help.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

EDIT: It's a '79 Suzuki GS550L

First off, when you changed out the gaskets and synched it, did you tear down and actually dip each carb for 24 hours? How many turns out are the mixture screws? Do you have stock pipes and jets? How's the battery? Did you follow all of the recommended maintenance tips in Basscliff's site? If it's stalling at the light then it sounds like it's lean
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by bmlbytes View Post
      Hey I have a quick question about my bike.

Back in November I had a TON of maintenance done on my bike. The carbs were synched, the bowl gaskets and manifold seals were replaced, the petcock valve was replaced, and the drive chain and sprockets were replaced.

Now Im having another issue I would think is a problem with the carbs.

EDIT: It's a '79 Suzuki GS550L
      Did it run ok after the "TON of maintenance" and only recently go sour?Was your petcock replaced with a vaccuum operated petcock- is the vaccuum hose connected to intake manifold?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Valve adjustment?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Clean the carbs. If for nothing else, process of elimination
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Hi,

Click HERE. Have you done everything? Have you gone through both lists and all of the recommendations? Shortcuts lead to frustration.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

cowboyup3371 - I actually paid a mechanic to do it since he did a ton of work. I'm a college student and cant afford to pay a mechanic to do it again though. The notes he gave me said he cleaned and synched the carbs. The pipes I do not believe are stock, but the mechanic (who is actually a performance shop) was supposed to check the carbs for the right setting on that. The battery is fairly new. I did do many of Basscliffs things, and the mechanic did a lot of them too. Almost all of Basscliff's site has been done.

tom203 - The bike ran like it was brand new after I got it back from the mechanic. It hasn't worked well in about a month. When I brought the bike to the performance shop the guy replaced the petcock valve. He said he had to do some modifications to replace the valve with a "manual" one instead of a vacuum one. He also advised me to turn the gas off every time I got off the bike.

Big T - I'm a poor college student going to a school for computer science (I'm a nerd and haven't done much with any sort of vehicle). Any good tutorial on doing that?

Octain - The carbs were cleaned and synched in November, could they go bad this quickly?

Basscliff - Almost every single thing on that website, both preventative and things to fix problems have already been done, and by a professional.

Comment

Did the performance shop guy remember to cap the vacuum port on the carbs if he "eliminated" the vacuum feature?
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Would that take a few months to show up? That sounds like a problem that would be immediately recognizable. My bike ran great for 2 or 3 months after that.

Comment

Well if he did adjust the valves maybe he went on the tight side of the spec and they are now out of spec.

If you racked up a lot of miles this would show up.
                    Can you do a compression check.

I cannot imagine a kick starter spinning a bike over faster than the electric starter but you may be part jackrabbit.

Comment

Ok..It was a possibility, but i didnt realise that you ran it for 2 or 3 months after he did the petcock. Could the petcock now be failing totally? Maybe getting so bad its not letting the right flow?? HMM..
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

JEEPRUSTY- What tools would I need to do a compression check? Sounds like I would need some special ones. I think that the reason the kick starter works sometimes, is the battery might be getting weak after trying to start it. While I am having this problem, I am putting the battery on a maintainer every weekend. The charger says the battery charges to full, but it usually takes about an hour for it to say that.

Petcock is brand new as of November. I should be able to test the petcock by removing the hose and seeing if it flows in a steady stream right?

Comment

Know any mechanic buds? Same one any car mechanic uses.. It a tube with the guage on top that screws into the sparl plug hole. You crank the bike afew revs and the needle will set itself at the highest pressure that it reads.

Comment

Yes on the petcock check. remove the fuel line to the carbs. Get a piece of line to put on the petcock and a clear 2 litre pop bottle. The stream should be steady and at least as big as the hole in the test line..good strong even flow is what your looking for.

Comment

Valves will burn if neglected. You might want to investigate.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X