GS 750 Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 750 Exhaust

Alright, so I'm certain that this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I found a rust hole in the side of my '81 GS 750 L's left muffler. As I have read on here, a common swap is to pull take-offs from a Harley Sportster or a Soft Tail and use the stock headers and crossover section. However, I just checked underneath the bike and found that the former owner must have gone crazy and welded the muffler to the header and collector sections. I'm thinking of taking it to an exhaust shop in town (that works on cars mostly) and having them lop the mufflers off with an acetylene torch and then tack my new ones on. Has anyone else seen this? If so, what did you do?

I am thinking my OEM pipes are exactly as you described. May not be the PO fault...
    Someone recently had a thread on attaching some reverse cone dunstall muff on their OEM pipes. Search those terms and I bet you'll find it in the not too distant past. Maybe two weeks. I replied with the words "cocktail shaker" IIRC

Comment

Hmm, I couldn't seem to find that post. Do you think you have a link? I'm thinking of just picking up some mufflers from an older Sportster without the crossover pipe. Also wondering if there's any trick to getting the stock airbox back on. I have to loosen the rubber boots yesterday to replace my head gasket and by the time I was done with that fiasco, I was too tired to fight with it anymore. Any advice?

Comment

Here ya go, it was in my "Subsribed Threads" I was close on the search terms Title is "Norton reverse-cone silencers"...

... as far as reinstalling the airbox goes, sorry. I haven't gotten to that stage of my build yet!

Comment

Working...
        X