Exhaust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Question

I have a 1979 GS550L. Does anyone know if a left side exhaust from a 1978 GS550 will fit. Seller does not know what model of GS it is, only that it is a 1978. It is a good price can anyone help me?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jlziegler98,

The "L" model and "E" model exhausts are different. It will probably fit but the "L" model has more of a trumpet flare and is shorter than the "regular" E model. It would look kind of funny to have half of each exhaust on your bike.

Find out the exact model of the donor bike and go from there. Look in the gallery for pictures.

Now let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Exhaust

Thank you for the welcome. From what I can see this is the best website on the Internet.

Back to my question. First you make a very good point. I definately want a matched pair. Supposing the donor bike is an "L" as I need, do you think the fact that the donor bike is a 78 and mine is a 79 matters?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Go to bikebandit.com and crossreference the part numbers from the oem parts microfiche for each bike. That's what I did to find interchangability on a rear axle I was lookin for and it worked out well.

Comment

The 78 550 and 79 550 were both 8 valve engines, and so the pipes will most likely line up at the heads the same, use the same gasket, etc. The differences, as were mentioned, will be in the looks of the two different pipes (assuming they're not both L models.)

Also, if they are not the same L model, chances are the exhaust hanger at the rear of the bike will not line up with the pipe's hanger so you'd need to fabricate another hanger on the frame or add an extension to get the pipe and hanger location to connect.
          Scott
          1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
          1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
          1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
          2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jhicok View Post
            Go to bikebandit.com and crossreference the part numbers from the oem parts microfiche for each bike. That's what I did to find interchangability on a rear axle I was lookin for and it worked out well.
            Comparing Bike Bandit's numbers to other Bike Bandit numbers will work OK, but you will be better off using anybody else's part numbers.

Bike Bandit seems to be the only parts supplier that uses their own part numbering system for OEM parts.

ALL the others use genuine Suzuki part numbers.

Back to your question: Other than the afore-mentioned difference between the L and E models, there will be no problem putting a '78 pipe on your '79 bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I put 550L pipes on a 550E before and the rear mounts had to be modified. Not a huge deal but I think you should use both sides the same to make sure the crossover pipes align.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
              X