Jetting/tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey CK,

The DJ kit definitely wasn't plug and play for me. I followed their directions to the letter and the bike ran far worse than before I re-jetted. I even called a DJ tech and he was not much help. It turned out the PO had tinkered a bit with the jetting so it wasn't all stock as I thought. I followed the advice of a couple of senior folks here with lots of carb experience and they were pretty much spot on, especially chef (thanks man!) Believe me, I am a fan of KISS (keep it simple, stupid) but sometimes these things conspire against you

Comment

Totally the same for me. It took me forever to realize that my bike wouldn't even accept throttle with the DJ stage 1 kit until the needles were moved to the 4th clip. The DJ 114 mains were too lean and the 132s too soggy so I went with the Mikuni 117.5s. Needles on anything lower than 4th position made for surging and rough cruising/acceleration until WOT above 4k. Then I was still seeing a lot of popping and slightly lean plugs at slow speed cruising so I upped the pilots. I do agree that the DJ airjets are not needed (for me at least). I've tried every configuration available to me and this is best so far.

I triple checked my floats which are at 22.3-5mm. Coils are getting good voltage, carbs are synched, valves in spec, new exhaust gaskets (although I do need to check the mid-pipe connection which is just slipped on, no clamp or gasket there.) Any other comments? When I do real plug chops, I'll take photos and post them. Thanks for the discussion!

Comment

I have a simple trick to test for exhaust leaks that you may not be able to"feel". I use a cigarette. The smoke from a cigarette held close to the header and various pipe joints will show even the tiniest of leaks with the bike running. Its funny how small of a hole can cause popping.

Comment

Working...
        X