Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750ES won't start no way, no how

This is real downer.
    I've tried everything to start my 83 GS750ES after a winter of sitting in a heated garage. I forgot to use Stabil - I know, VERY dumb.
    I've tested the battery, coils, ingiter, R/R, all according to Stator Papers and BassCliff and they're within spec - at least within spec while the bike's not running since I can't get it to run. I don't want to start shooting tons of QuickStart.

I'm guessing it's a carb issues since the cylinders all remain bone dry after trying to start. But could all four carbs be so gummed up after just 4 months? It has sat on the side stand cuz the PO removed the center stand. I opened the #1 darin bowl and seemingly clean, clear gas.
    I replaced the old gas in the tank, replaced the vacuum line, checked the petcock and fuel line, which both allow fuel to run. I cleaned the vent holes in the gas cap but the cylinder remain dry.
    I guess I'll try putting a couple drops of gas directly in the cylinders, as BassCliff suggests, to see if that turns the bike over for a moment. If it does I guess I'll have to pull off the carbs for a cleaning. It's just weird that the bike refuses to fire even for a moment.

Any input very welcome.
    thanks,
    baz

I would go ahead and re-clean the carbs.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

get some sea foam and burn the old crappy gas through... if not you know the drill with the carbs... gl

Comment

I got real lucky one time.
        I had let a bike sit for two years with very little fuel in the tank.
        When I FINALY got around to riding it again, I drained the fuel out of the carbs and tank.
        Then, I added 2 16oz. cans of Berryman's to the tank.
        Set the petcock on prime and with a fully charged battery, started it.
        It smoked a stumbled for a bit but, I got the engine "just warm."
        Then, I added 2 gallons of fresh premium fuel and rode it.
        After about a hundred miles, it was back to running "happy."
        Changed the plugs, added more fresh fuel and she was good as new.

Give it a try.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          I got real lucky one time.
          I had let a bike sit for two years with very little fuel in the tank.
          When I FINALY got around to riding it again, I drained the fuel out of the carbs and tank.
          Then, I added 2 16oz. cans of Berryman's to the tank.
          Set the petcock on prime and with a fully charged battery, started it.
          It smoked a stumbled for a bit but, I got the engine "just warm."
          Then, I added 2 gallons of fresh premium fuel and rode it.
          After about a hundred miles, it was back to running "happy."
          Changed the plugs, added more fresh fuel and she was good as new.

Give it a try.

Daniel
          Almost seems like it would have been easier to just clean the carbs.
          No way in hell I'd run berrymans in place of fuel.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

If they've recently been cleaned I suspect that once you actually get it to start you'll be able to clean out the rest of any gunk with seafoam in the tank.....

You could drain the fuel & the carbs, spray some carb cleaner in the carbs as much as you can (fuel line, vent tubes etc) & give it a go.

Easy start might get it going.

My friend does this frequently with his Honda... gets it started with difficulty after leaving it then it runs like crap for 20 miles or so whilst the carbs flush out & then it's good to go
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
              get some sea foam and burn the old crappy gas through... if not you know the drill with the carbs... gl
              Yeah, try this route first. Can you block air intake and crank it? just might pull some fuel up and get it to fire
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Put the petcock on PRIme, set the choke, take a deep breath, and blow has hard as you can into the tank. The air pressure will force fuel up through all the passages and I'll be money on the bike starting and running for a few seconds. Repeat if needed and don't forget to take the bike off PRIme, once it's running.

Comment

You can also try blowing in the vent tubes... that has a similar effect to force fuel up.

Step away from the tank before you take the deep breath
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate everybody's help.
                    I'll try some of the solutions posted and let you all know how it goes.
                    thanks again,
                    baz

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      Almost seems like it would have been easier to just clean the carbs.
                      No way in hell I'd run berrymans in place of fuel.
                      My thoughts exactly...

Comment

Pull the carbs and clean them properly. What's the big deal? They are most likely full of hard and brittle 30 year old O-rings anyway unless they have been done before. This will give you a chance to change the intake boot O-rings and adjust the valves too. Old bikes need maintenance.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                        X