1986 GS450L not running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 GS450L not running

Hi I'm a new member to the GSR. I just acquired a 1986 GS450L in not running conditions and with a different gas tank. I checked all the basics. I have spark and fuel, the carbs were stuck but I sprayed carb cleaner and they loosened up, the air box was broken and burned so I removed it and installed K&N pods. I changed the fuel hose and removed the fuel filter. I fully charged the battery and tried to start it. The bike started after 30 or so tries, it ran for one minute with the choke open all the way then it quit. When attempting to start it again it just backfired really loud. I need some advise, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. gsmotofan,

I know we've "spoken" already but let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Firstly, welcome to the forums. Another 450 coming to life is great

The very first thing I'd be doing is giving those carbs a proper clean as they more than likely have old fuel gumming up the jets and passages.

You probably want to do a valve adjustment also.

The other thing you'll note is that with the K&N pods it will breathe a whole lot more easier, so you will need to do something about rejetting your carbs.

Good luck!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thank you for the wellcome the great advise. I'm very mecanical incline when it comes to cars but not when it comes to motorcycles. I have owned other motorcycles but I've bought them running and took them to the local shop for maintenance. This is my first attept at working on a bike and I hope I dont cause more damage than good. I will post any new info or progress.
        Thanks again

Comment

Gentlemen
          I made some progress over the weekend. I replaced the spark plugs and wrapped the K&N pods with cloth to restrain air flow. The bike started up with the choke half way open, it ran for a minute but it stopped once I tried to give it some gas. I checked the throttle cable which by the way it’s new, I installed it the week before. The cable is fine then I noticed a crack in the right intake manifold boot, the crack was under the hose clamp that’s why I didn’t notice it before. I wrapped the boot with black electrical tape and started the engine again. It ran at very high RPM with the choke closed, and I was able to rev it up. I tried to adjust the idle with the knob, turned it all the way to the left but nothing changed, I turned all the way to the right and but it would idle at even higher RPM. My question is how do I adjust the idle on the 1986 GS450L besides the idle screw/knob? Also where can I find the intake boots?

Comment

Hi,

#25 on the "cylinder head" parts fiche page for your bike, part# 13110-44100. They can be purchased at any of the OEM vendors in your "mega-welcome" list.

You'll need new intake O-rings too (#26). Have you installed larger jets to compensate for the pod filters? Have you properly cleaned the carbs? It's all in your "mega-welcome"; carb O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com, valve adjustments, etc. There is a 450 carb cleaning guide on my website.

I have found that these OEM vendors usually have the best prices: partshark.com, cyclepartsnation.com, gssuzuki.com, but your mileage may vary. Don't forget to factor in shipping charges.

BassCliff

Comment

Seems like all that needs to be said, has been said, nothing from me, other than, this is good solid advise, follow it, rip the carbs off, strip them down, soak and clean them real well, repalce all the O-Rings, which you can get from Robert Barr, right here on this site.
              Replace the boots and the O-Rings that go between the boots and the head.
              Then you will have a bike that runs, then when we have crossed that bridge, we will walk you through re jetting your carbs for those pods, to avoid you damaging your engine.

There is plenty knowledge and good advise here, don't be scared to ask, folks are more than willing to help and share thier know how but listen to it.
              Oh yes, and set the valve clearences.

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I went to the mega-welcome page but all I found were carb rebuild and O-ring kits for 1980-1982 450s no later years. I'll check on the OEM parts websites.

Comment

Get hold of Robert Barr here on the site, he has all the O-Rings.
                  here is his web address.

Comment

Hi,

It seems the '86 carbs are a little different from the '82 carbs. Send Robert Barr an email and see if he can help you anyway. You can always order all of the O-rings from an OEM vendor. The only thing the OEM fiches don't list is the O-ring under the cap with the idle mixture screw. I'm sure Robert has those for the BS34SS carbs.

BassCliff

Comment

After doing some more research and looking for the parts needed for the carb clean/rebuild process I've decided to ditch the K&N pods and look for an air box. Please let me know if someone has one for sale, I will post the request on the "parts wanted forum" and I will also look for it in the "black market" aka ebay. Thank you again for all the good advise.

Comment

After doing some more research and looking for the parts needed for the carb clean/rebuild process I've decided to ditch the K&N pods and look for an air box.

You have no idea how much easier you have just made your life.

Comment

Originally posted by gsmotofan View Post
                          After doing some more research and looking for the parts needed for the carb clean/rebuild process I've decided to ditch the K&N pods and look for an air box. Please let me know if someone has one for sale, I will post the request on the "parts wanted forum" and I will also look for it in the "black market" aka ebay. Thank you again for all the good advise.
                          I'll take those K&N pods off of you if you don't want them. Let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by gsmotofan View Post
                            I'm a sucker for punishment and I like to make things as difficult for myself as I possibly can, therefore I'm staying with my pods

I will have a spare airbox, but I need to hang onto it for the moment until I've got it running well and sorted. I have a feeling postage to the US would probably make it too expensive though...

Edit: Just realised yours is an '86, so mine won't fit anyway!
                            Last edited by pete; 04-14-2011, 08:44 AM. Reason: Wrong year...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I found an airbox on ebay I should be receiving it in one week or so. Now can someone give me some tips on how to install it? my original aibox was mostly melted and shattered, I removed it in pieces and it was dificult to remove that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X