are these supposed to look like that? head to carb adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are these supposed to look like that? head to carb adapter

so ive bean suffering from a vac leak for some time now, so after getting fed up with it decided to pull the carbs off and inspect the seals that sit between the head and the adapters for the carbs (dont know the technical term for it)
    anyways, apparently on cylinder #1 and #2 one of the P.O.s decided to put some sealant around the O-rings and slap it back on. well, the sealent dried up, and guise what i have... and annoying vac leak and some scraping off to do! anyways, i was wondering if the seals supossed to be flat or were they an actuall O-ring that just got squashed and flattened and hard after 34 years?

they should be fat and non flat.
    they should be thick and plump.
    They should not be dry or hard.

Comment

That's what happens with heat & time. You need to replace the orings. Ray.

Comment

thanks guys:-) these things are are hard as a rock, dose anyone have dimensions for those O-rings? Inner diameter? outer diameter? thickens?

Comment

He will set you up!

Daniel

Comment

i have a very good local "seal" store that i usually pick random seals and o-rings up from (different compounds, fuel resistant, different temp range, and so on and so forth) they have saved my (_!_) several number of times with my Audi. So all i need is the size, i usually try to give local guys a chance first...

Comment

VITON is the key to fuel and heat resistant joy.

Ask any of my presbyterian forebears who are down in hell.

Mind you they only have spotty dial-up service.

VITON!

Go Leafs!

Comment

Viton, got it... so the I.D. is 32mm O.D. is 38mm... so 4mm thickens would be to thick... so would 2mm or 3mm work?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
                  Viton, got it... so the I.D. is 32mm O.D. is 38mm... so 4mm thickens would be to thick... so would 2mm or 3mm work?

Go the the cycle o-rings link Robert Barr will set you right.

I bought stuff rom him that fit perfectly he is A number One

Stuff has been in service 3 yrs and running no problems.
                  Buying the bits OEM is insanely expensive btw.

Comment

I just ordered OEM o-rings, they are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                      they should be fat and non flat.
                      they should be thick and plump.
                      They should not be dry or hard.
                      Double entendre?

Comment

The OEM are not as good as Viton. If you bring the boots to the seal store, they will hook you up. I'm thinking it's 2.5mm thick, but they may not be right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
                          So all i need is the size, i usually try to give local guys a chance first...
                          OK, how much more "local" do you want to get than a fellow member of GSR?

Member Robert Barr is "the guy" at cycleorings.com. He provides this service for fellow GSR members.
                          Besides the intake boot o-rings, he has a fantastic set of o-rings for your carbs that will include more o-rings
                          than you will find in any "rebuild" kit, and certainly much cheaper than any dealer.
                          You also don't have to do any research on sizes and materials, he has done it all for you.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i can get the Viton on monday at my lunch brake.... if this was a planed repair, shore, i would get it from him, but this is unplanned and i want the bike back one the road ASAP.
                            so 2.5mm, ill give it a shot and ill post my results.
                            Thanks Guys

Comment

n/m .
                              Last edited by Tom R; 04-10-2011, 05:10 AM.
                              -1980 GS1100 LT
                              -1975 Honda cb750K
                              -1972 Honda cl175
                              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Working...
                              X