Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism
    He won't listen. Good luck.

If he'd done it when this thread first started he'd be riding a good running bike right now. As it is he's gonna do some damage if he keeps avoiding it.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      If he'd done it when this thread first started he'd be riding a good running bike right now. As it is he's gonna do some damage if he keeps avoiding it.
      Yep. go back a week and look at post #2
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Yep. go back a week and look at post #2

Heh, this one?

sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Hi, Try part# 18-4358 at Z-1 for GS1000 petcock.
          OK, I tried, think I've stumbled on this previously, says it's for the GS1000GLX/SZ models.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hello All,
            Guess what. I have a sweet running GS-1000.
            You know what? I owe it to this forum - specifically sedelen - for mentioning the screen on the petcock, prior to me tearing it apart.
            Heres what I think happened - the previous owner had an inline filter installed the last time he had the bike serviced, and forgot that he did it. (His comment to me was 'I was gonna get one put on there, but I never got around to it')
            I rode it over to my Dad's house (who had a 1981 1000L and has been doing his own bike maintenance since his first bike in the 60s) and we started really looking at the fuel system. Dad spotted it first - there was an inline filter already in the system. We pulled the tank off - replaced the entire fuel line and removed the filter - the filter was either clear or very very close to it. Proving the theory that if it gets through the filter in the tank, its not going to get stopped by anything else.
            A new fuel line and a few frustrated words later (I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone how hard it is to work a clip hose clamp with needle nose pliers through one of two access points in the frame, dodging vacuum lines) we were ready to put the tank back on.
            Before we did - Dad figured it was a good time to pull the petcock and have a peak at it. I ran the bike over on reserve - no draining required by the time I got over there. Pulled the petcock out, blew it out with compressed air, checked for clear, unbroken screens and reinstalled. New washers and gaskets later, we reinstalled the tank, all the lines, and gave her a test fire.
            WOW - what a difference - fired right up - idled much higher than it had been even with the choke on - ran much better immediately.
            We shut it back down and she spent the night at my Dad's. (It was a rain / snow mix when we finished - Spring in Maine!) I went back over today to ride it home and took it for a 30 mile test ride instead :-)
            Long story made very short - she has more power - idling better - still hitching a bit when I roll onto it, but I think that has more to do with the carb cleaner I have in the tank. Once I get that through it, I think it'll be fine.
            I should mention, as I admitted to overfilling the oil by two quarts (whoops) I dropped the oil upon arrival at my Dad's place and replaced with Shell Rotella T - 10w40. I was a little concerned that the bottle doesn't specifically mention being JASO / MA certified, but, thusfar things seem to be fine.
            Overall - things are good - I'll be taking it to work tomorrow - we'll see how she does!
            -Joey

Comment

Great news, good to hear that she is running nice now.

Comment

Thanks FlyBoy!
                Now we move to Phase 1A of the bike purchase - Ride the crap out of this summer!
                Considering a few changes / upgrades - swap out the rear running / brake light with a LED bulb - same for the plate light - also considering a new regulator, electronic ignition, and adding some additional ditch / spot / running lights to the front.
                All of that however will be AFTER I get a feel for the bike on the road.
                -Joey

Comment

Glad the bike is running better. Now please don't destroy the engine by neglecting the valve adjustment. The valves tighten with mileage and if you neglect them the valves will burn and may take out the head too.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X