Fuel tank leak around sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank leak around sending unit

I just got my GS 850 gas tank back from powder coat and it has developed a leak around the fuel sending unit area that I am no longer even using. Im sure this is heat related when they cured the powder but cant tell if there is a gasket or seal beneath it. Anyone ever had to deal with this ? Thinking of just removing it and sealing this area off entirely.
    Ideas ?

Hi,

Yes, there's a rubber gasket. You'll find lots of pictures HERE and HERE (PDF files). You should be able to find the part in an online parts fiche and order it from any online OEM vendor, or even your local dealer.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Take out the seal and apply a thin bead of three bond on the tank mating surfaces and replace the seal. Make a metal cover and apply some three bond on that as well. If you are deleting the sending unit, I would be intereseted in buying it. I just made a makeshift cover so i can do the tank acid soak for the coating kit. Look at my 78 100 E project thread and youll get an idea of the cover. I suspect your will be a bit more professional since its gonna be a permanent seal.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sending unit block off

Chuck...I checked out the pics and appreciate the info. I will just make a cover similar to yours and epoxy it down with JB Weld or 2k epoxy. I tell ya what, if I can get the fuel sending unit out without damaging it, it's yours free. Since we got off on the wrong foot on this forum with past posts lets call it a peace offering LOL !

Another thing while I got ya....finished everthing and was ready to fire her up and apparently a "makeshift electrician" got into the wire harness. I dont have ignition, lights or anything and its just too much to follow. Gonna tear out the harness and simplify it. Know anyone near SC good with rewiring a GS850....Im just not an electrical guru.

Todd

Comment

You got the wrong guy for wiring!! I suk at it . I wouldnt epoxy the cover..it tends to get old and brittle after a while in my opinion..I would at a minimum put a good bead of three bond or permatex formula 2 on it. They are designed to seal and remain in a semi pliable state and will stretch and flow with temp changes and expansion in the tank. Epoxy may not expand and then your back into a leak again..just my 2 cents worth.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You powder coated the tank with the sending unit w/rubber seal installed?

Just get a new OE seal and make a plate to plug the hole. No disco.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by thausen View Post

Another thing while I got ya....finished everthing and was ready to fire her up and apparently a "makeshift electrician" got into the wire harness. I dont have ignition, lights or anything and its just too much to follow. Gonna tear out the harness and simplify it. Know anyone near SC good with rewiring a GS850....Im just not an electrical guru.

Todd
              Wiring is fairly simple- don't be intimidated! Get wiring diagram off Basscliff, but don't panic. Assuming it's stock now (I didn't read any previous posts), power goes from battery + to main fuse, then up to ignition switch, then back to other fuses ( when key is on) and on to lights, igniter, etc. You need a multimeter - it's better than ripping out a harness!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

tank

Ok...me and this gas tank are about to throw blows ! I pulled the sending unit...which was not in good condition and replaced the seal and used permatex as assistance to the old gasket. Let it cure two days and refilled the tank. Stupid thing is still leaking around this area ? Am I missing something ?

Comment

I delayed but have to ask, why did you powdercoat a gas tank?
                  Not trying to tick you off (you already have trouble) but I want others to reconsider if they're thinking of this, unless of course you can tell me the benefits.
                  As for the leaking, I installed a new sending unit and gasket many years ago and I only remember the new gasket had to be positioned carefully and then the screws should be tightened uniformly and not too much. I used no sealer as assistance. Also, powdercoating is thicker than paint and could have something to do with this? I could see where it could leak if you weren't installing everything that carefully. I assume it's leaking around the entire gasket area? Can you show a pic?
                  As for the dead electrical, are you sure the main fuse is good?
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

leak

Keith,
                    I powdercoated the tank for long term durability. I am an OEM rep for paint/powder coatings. I used a polyester resin powder which is extremely durable compared to even catalyzed urethane liquids. When I'm done with this bike I will post pics and you can see how good it came out. I didnt take into consideration the gasket on the sending unit because I dont use it. Simply overlooked removing it. I pulled the cover and resealed it with permatex and tightened it down again. Then just surrounded the lip with JB Weld for permanent seal. Seems to be taken care of.

On the power loss, yeah I checked the main fuse and its ok. Have a good friend/customer who owns a very prominent high end bike shop who is gonna make a totally new harness. I hate it when someone cuts into the wiring harness and make shifts it. Becomes an ongoing nightmare of hunt and find issues. Gonna pull it and start fresh.

Comment

I've had tanks powdercoated - it's cheap and tough and looks ok. Good for bikes that are going to have a hard life.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

OK. Just wondering. PC'ing a tank is new to me. Glad the leak is fixed. Be sure though because you don't want fuel on a hot motor.
                        I assume you're still using the factory catch reservoir and dump line to catch fuel if it did leak or is the whole thing gone?
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                        X