Ruined carbs - help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruined carbs - help needed

Well after spending hours upon hours of cleaning and dipping the carbs. I finally re-assembled the 4 carbs together using brand new allen bolts (the phillips heads were stripped badly). I finally sat down to "bench sync" the carbs and as I go to adjust the sync screw between 3 and 4. It was a bit stubborn to turn so I used a bit more force that i probably needed to. I assume the piece was weakened somehow before because as I tried to turn the screw, pop comes off the carb piece holding the screw.F*%&. I am extremely desperate right now....
    As it stands, carb #4 is basically useless since the throttle lever can't do
    I'm not sure if they can be welded together, I'm looking for suggestions on a fix for this, if at all possible. is there any way to replace the pivoting assembly altogether? Or can i build some type of small vise-thingy to connect the throttle lever to carb #4.

Also, If anyone has a spare set of carbs I would be willing to buy the entire set . This is on a '81 gs550t.
    Please, I need help.

I've seen these fixed with what looks like Araldite. And a guy at a show did a demo of Durafix welding (actually more like a solder) on a set of carbs - looked pretty strong.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      I've seen these fixed with what looks like Araldite. And a guy at a show did a demo of Durafix welding (actually more like a solder) on a set of carbs - looked pretty strong.
      Yes, it's probably steel, so could be welded or brazed fairly well!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Yes, it's probably steel, so could be welded or brazed fairly well!
        Given that I have no welding equipment/experience, where can I take the carb to have the piece welded in place?

This bike has been nothing but headaches....sigh

Comment

shoot, I have a 2 and 3 but no 4.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            shoot, I have a 2 and 3 but no 4.
            Murphy's law is in full effect with this motorcycle.

I've been thinking for the past few hours and I came up with what I call a "desperate-man's solution"

Do you all think I could get a U-shaped piece of metal and screw it tight to the bottom part and have an adjustable bolt and nut on the top (above the throttle lever) and have that function as the linkage between carbs 3 and 4?

I've hit rock bottom..don't know what to do!

Comment

If you can post some other pics, or if anyone knows if a gs450ga carb will work for that, I have 2 extra carb bodies I would part with for 10 bucks (each) + shipping. I ripped most of the jets and stuff out of them for my current set, so I don't need the bodies or anything.

Comment

it just pot metal basically and very porous. I would try to get the screw and lock nut free first and working freely. Mix up some JB weld and squish it into the pores on each piece and set it back together and maybe a bit on the outer edge where it will be out of the way. Hey its broke now so you got nothing to loose.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vantreeseba View Post
                  If you can post some other pics, or if anyone knows if a gs450ga carb will work for that, I have 2 extra carb bodies I would part with for 10 bucks (each) + shipping. I ripped most of the jets and stuff out of them for my current set, so I don't need the bodies or anything.
                  I have the Mikuni BS34SS carburetors -'81 GS550T. I believe the 450's have a bore size of 34mm (BS34SS), which would not correspond to this model.

Does anyone know if the 650's used the same carb body as the 550 but with different jet sizes? My carb has all the components in very good shape and can replace them into a 650 carb #4. is that possible?

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by mobius View Post
                    I have the Mikuni BS34SS carburetors -'81 GS550T. I believe the 450's have a bore size of 34mm (BS34SS), which would not correspond to this model.

Does anyone know if the 650's used the same carb body as the 550 but with different jet sizes? My carb has all the components in very good shape and can replace them into a 650 carb #4. is that possible?

Any ideas?
                    You can use the 650 carbs but not the 750/850.
                    Actually the spacing is different on the 2 and 3 carb on the 750/850 but the 1 and 4 are the same.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I'll +1 on the JB weld or something similar. A) It's hardly pushing anything at all since the spring is on the other side, B) only special equipment required is a toothpick and C) as was already stated - There's nothing to lose.
                      I did this on the stop for a miter box, which was under considerably more stress and impacts, and it held for years (unfortunately I use my miter box more than my bike).

Edit - After looking at a set in my basement, I was wrong - it is under stress of the spring. I no longer think JB weld is such a good idea.
                      Last edited by Tom R; 04-19-2011, 10:34 PM.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

question: If i were to replace the #4 on mine with one from a 650, what is the significance of the number that is on the butterfly?

Mine says 140, but the 650 says 135?? would I need to change those too?

Comment

Originally posted by mobius View Post
                          question: If i were to replace the #4 on mine with one from a 650, what is the significance of the number that is on the butterfly?

Mine says 140, but the 650 says 135?? would I need to change those too?
                          If you sync them the numbers on the butterfly won't make a difference.

Comment

This is an easy fix. No reason to fret.

Those adjuster pieces are attached to the throttle shaft with a small roll pin. You simply need to find a small nail of the right diameter to drive out the pin, install a replacement piece, and then put the pin back in. I should have some of those adjuster pieces. Shoot me a PM if you want to get one and/or discuss further.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Some more pictures of the adjuster, with the carb taken off the set. Posted for Ed.

Comment

Working...
                              X