Stuck valve/O rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck valve/O rings

i was going to change my carb intake "o" rings as my carbs are popping and idle is eratic but saw a article claiming that popping carbs may be a stuck valve, does anyone know any other symptoms of a stuck valve and how it can be unstuck without taking the head off?

Unstick it by riding it; otherwise it's bent or busted or the springs are knacked etc and the head will have to come off. Chances are you've got a carb problem but what bike have you got?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Stuck valves are extremely rare, however burned valves from idiot's not adjusting them is common.

First step toward eliminating running problems is basic maintenance. If the bike still doesn't run right you then will have a baseline from which to build.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The only external sign of a stuck valve would be excessive valve clearance

Do a valve adjustment and see

Popping is generally a lean mixture issue
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

do a basic compression check to check for a sticky valve.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Unstick it by riding it; otherwise it's bent or busted or the springs are knacked etc and the head will have to come off. Chances are you've got a carb problem but what bike have you got?
            sorry pressed send before finishing 1977 GS750

Comment

popping could also be just a airleak, bad sync, or just too rich.

is the popping from the exhaust or is it kinda a hissy spitty ness from the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by refeicul View Post
                popping could also be just a airleak, bad sync, or just too rich.

is the popping from the exhaust or is it kinda a hissy spitty ness from the carbs?

Popping from the carbs, more like a phuting sound! it has K&N filters which ran fine last month, but i think the weight of the carbs may have caused an airleak in the intake O rings as the the revs stay up when the throttles used and the idle screw produces erratic results

Comment

ya i got that on mine awhile back.

once it was from the fuel screw too far out the other was during syncing when the butterfly was too far closed, or with the floats to high. all due to a rich mix.

the only other thing i could think of is that due to running rich like with pods there was excess carbon on the valves causing them to stick or lag up and the hissy spitty noise was the cylinder pressure.

but the erratic idle has to be an air leak
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X