what jet size to move up to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what jet size to move up to?

alright, i have a 78 gs550, I put pod filters on and am going to run straight pipes, what size jets do I need to go up to?
    I have been using the search button and i am just very tired, so excuse me if i have missed the obvious answer, thanks in advance!

Use the stock jets, that way the engine will burn up quicker and we won't have to listen to your noisy ass POS any more.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Use the stock jets, that way the engine will burn up quicker and we won't have to listen to your noisy ass POS any more.
      you mad? Its actually mint, and given to me for free. First thing I did was cut the seat rails and spray bomb it when I got home, 3000 miles on the thing, so no its not a pos

Comment

So why the straight pipes?
        Need the loud pipes to save your life?
        Or are you just a jackass?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You won't find much support 'round these parts for running open pipes on the street. Just sayin'.....

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
            You won't find much support 'round these parts for running open pipes on the street. Just sayin'.....
            truf.
            You want "blat-blat" exhaust, go get a harley.
            now a 2-1-glasspack would be sick.

Comment

Hi,

You'll have to do some experimentation (i.e. "plug chops") to determine the best jetting for your intake and exhaust modifications. Start by going up 4 sizes on the mains and one size on the pilot jets. Read your plugs at different throttle openings (plug chops) and adjust as necessary. Use the clips on the needle to raise the needles to richen up the midrange if necessary. Check with Dynojet and see if they have a jet kit for your bike. That would take most of the guesswork out of the equation.

See the carb sections of my website for more information and links.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

It'll sound pants - the 550 especially doesn't like running with missing silencers and stock headers. Sounds like a pair of Honda (wet) Dreams with a misfire in my opinion (I'd rather walk). The best sound to be had is with a 4-1 - Marving / Harris something like that. Music to die for at 10k + rpm (maybe, just maybe, the best sounding GS when you've got it on song like that).

Jet sizes - I'd start looking at 4 or 5 sizes up, drop the needle clip one position and I'll disagree with Cliff - stock pilots should be ok, just tune on the fuel screw / air screw. Again I disagree with Cliff - these carbs are fully tuneable so no need to buy a Dynojet kit. Just do the plug chops and / or use a Colortune.

Do your pods fit by the way? Not a lot of room between the carb inlets and the frame on #1 and #4 for some pods - some won't fit, some do and some fit only if you bend them.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  It'll sound pants - the 550 especially doesn't like running with missing silencers and stock headers. Sounds like a pair of Honda (wet) Dreams with a misfire in my opinion (I'd rather walk). The best sound to be had is with a 4-1 - Marving / Harris something like that. Music to die for at 10k + rpm (maybe, just maybe, the best sounding GS when you've got it on song like that).

Jet sizes - I'd start looking at 4 or 5 sizes up, drop the needle clip one position and I'll disagree with Cliff - stock pilots should be ok, just tune on the fuel screw / air screw. Again I disagree with Cliff - these carbs are fully tuneable so no need to buy a Dynojet kit. Just do the plug chops and / or use a Colortune.

Do your pods fit by the way? Not a lot of room between the carb inlets and the frame on #1 and #4 for some pods - some won't fit, some do and some fit only if you bend them.
                  thank you for the info, Ill admit I do want something loud, but definatley not honda sounding. I looked into the 4 to 1 but I just dont have the cash right now, I might even just put some shorty mufflers on, but I really do hate the stock pipes, Im not really a gs guy that would appreciate those, I just got a bike that happened to be a gs. I dont even know what a glass pack is, but im interested. I need to find the stock sizes but im not sure where. and dont worry tkent, i probably wont be riding around your neighborhood so your afternoon nap wont be disturbed.

and the pod filters barely fit, if youre looking for a clean look id try to find something smaller because the 2 outside filters are really jammed

Comment

Originally posted by rwc1313 View Post
                    I need to find the stock sizes but im not sure where.
                    GS550L (77-79) the specs are for the VM's

idle r/min 1100-1200
                    carb mik vm22ss
                    id no 47110
                    bore size 22 (0.87)
                    float height 24.+/-1.0 (0.95 +/-0.04)
                    fuel level 4.0+/-1.0 (0.16 +/-0.04)
                    air screw 2.0 turns back
                    cut away 1.5
                    jet needle 5dl35-3 (the -3 3rd notch??)
                    pilot screw 1.0
                    pilot jet #15
                    pilot outlet 0.6
                    needle jet 0-6
                    by pass 1.0
                    main jet #80

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      GS550L (77-79) the specs are for the VM's

idle r/min 1100-1200
                      carb mik vm22ss
                      id no 47110
                      bore size 22 (0.87)
                      float height 24.+/-1.0 (0.95 +/-0.04)
                      fuel level 4.0+/-1.0 (0.16 +/-0.04)
                      air screw 2.0 turns back
                      cut away 1.5
                      jet needle 5dl35-3 (the -3 3rd notch??)
                      pilot screw 1.0
                      pilot jet #15
                      pilot outlet 0.6
                      needle jet 0-6
                      by pass 1.0
                      main jet #80

thanks don, that helps out alot

Comment

I realise this is an old post but think I may have something to add. I have pods and a Motad 4-into-1 running #97.5 main jets on my '78 GS550E. Runs really well, picks up great, idles great, takes a little warming up but I do live in the SW UK. According to my mechanic is a little lean so I should put #100 at some point. I hope that helps someone, as I spent ages searching in the past for this info.

Comment

Working...
                        X