GS550e Running Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550e Running Issues

This bike is becoming a nightmare. When i take it out of the garage to ride it down the street. As soon as i get moving, it will bog out and die and doesn't want to start. And whenever it makes it down the street and i go to turn around, either it cuts out when i take it out of gear to slow down or it will bog down when i try and get moving and just die. (Carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt properly, new plugs, fresh battery) I have no idea why it can't make it down the street without at least dying 3 times.

How many turns out are the mixture screws?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

it has the two barrel set-up. but it hasn't affected how it runs whether they are 2-turns, all the way down, or all the way out. you're talking about the screws on the side of each carb right? these are the ones i have been adjusting (circled in picture)

Comment

Okay, I thought I could help but I'm out of my league since I'm not sure which screw is which when I look at the fiche.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

haha, yeah me neither really. just waiting on someone who knows which ones are supposed to be adjusted/not. not much information about the actual screws to be turned, just "2-3 turns out"

Comment

That screw you've circled is the plug for the carb sync port.

The mixture screws do not show on the parts fische because they are not replacement items, according to Suzuki - meaning they weren't meant to be gotten to... The mix screws are under a pressed-in alum cap located on the top of that "tower" located to the left of your circled screw.

When you dipped your carbs, did you pull the small dia plugs out to expose those mix screws??
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

What hikermikem said.

1) Be certain carbs are clean and rebuilt (sounds like that's done)
              2) Get to those mix screws (will have to drill out covers to get to them, unless it's been done already). Once you can get to them, hope that their not frozen and that the tips are broken. Mine had both issues, ultimately requiring a 2nd set of carbs to make one working set.
              3) Replace the o-rings between the intake boots and engine. Mine looked OK, but when I replaced them with new, it was night and day.

BTW, before the above, my bike would start, run but idle very poorly, bog/stall under anything past idle unless I added throttle PAINFULLY slowly and once at 5K RPM would then race to redline unless I released throttle, which would usually cause a bog/stall.

Best of luck!

PS: I have an extra set of carbs for parts.

Comment

Get to those mix screws (will have to drill out covers to get to them, unless it's been done already). Once you can get to them, hope that their not frozen and that the tips are broken.
                The mixture screws have a small spring and o-ring that they fit through so careful taking them out. The o-rings will likely need to be changed (cycleorings...Robt. Barr). With the screws out you should redip the carbs or at least blow carb cleaner throught the mixture passages. When you put them back in, screw them in until they bottom out (gently) then back them out 2.5 turns to start. Bench synch the carbs by turning up the idle screw so the butterflies are about the width of a paperclip up from the body of the carb. Hopefully that will set them so they run right.

I would start again and do a full cleaning and rebuilding of the carbs with fresh o-rings. As mentioned make sure the intake manifolds are in good shape and their o-rings are good and not squished too. Air infiltration makes the bike run very lean and can make it crap out or run rough.

Good luck with it.

cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                  The mixture screws have a small spring and o-ring that they fit through so careful taking them out. The o-rings will likely need to be changed (cycleorings...Robt. Barr).Good luck with it.

cheers,
                  Spyug
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

thanks for the information guys. where exactly are these "towers" the screws are located under? im slightly confused on where the hidden location is at.

Comment

just took a look at my carbs, and they haven't been drilled to be able to access the air screws, from what i could tell they are still bone stock. but if someone could post a picture of this tower they are hiding behind that would be great, or instruct me on where they are actually located behind/under, before i start drilling.

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here and say I think it's where 37 and 38 are in the fiche above.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

that's where the choke cables enter the carbs. i'm no expert and they might be it, but i don't think they are.

Comment

Hi,

I've got pictures.

Please note that the "air screw" labeled above is actually the "idle mixture screw".

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of the carb before the idle mixture screw cap was removed. I'm hoping that your carbs are similar enough that you will see where yours are.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff, you're a life saver =) Even though I have the "2x2" set-up they should be relatively close, right? I hope?
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2011, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X