GS550e Running Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c0okiez View Post
    Even though I have the "2x2" set-up they should be relatively close.

Yup, your carbs (sometimes called "siamese" carbs) have 2 mix screws in each body, along with 2 slide & needle assy's in each as well...

You should see 2 small diameter caps in each body - each cap has a small hole through it to let the air out of the cavity when it's pressed in. Those caps are thin, approx. 3/16" (.187") thick.

Take care when you drill them out, YOU DO NOT WANT TO HIT THE TOP OF THE MIX SCREW WITH YOUR DRILL BIT !!

Just drill a slightly bigger hole & thread in a sheet metal or dry wall screw (or similar) enough to grab the cap & yank it out.

Next, and EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, use a screwdriver blade that fits the mix screw slot perfectly - I have a screw driver that's dedicated for this task only... You may have to grind the screwdriver shaft a bit so the correct size driver will go down hole. Don't bugger that screw head up by using the wrong size screwdriver.

Good luck, we are all here to help you along the way...
    Last edited by hikermikem; 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

are these caps facing the motor or facing the airbox? i'm just trying to figure out exactly where they are at before i whip the drill out.

Comment

Facing the motor. Have a close look at Cliff's pictures.

Good luck,
        Spyug

Comment

BTW if you break the fragile mix screws, you'll be told they are no longer available. Through some research and long hours staring at the computer screen I found that the 1989 GS500 mix screws are the same as the 83 - 86 GS550 mix screws.

Don't lose the springs....

They are on the motor side, on on either side of where the choke cable goes into the carb.

On my carbs I actually had to mount the carb assembly to a drill press and use a screw extraction kit to get the old ones out.

The issue you're having though sounds like a problems with the pilot jets. I had the same issue and found out the previous owner had put in pilot jets that were 5 sizes too big... It was a nightmare until we got that figured out. Check you jet sizes... Also when you pulled the pilot jets did you look into the tower the jets are mounted to? There's a perforated brass tube in there that likes to collect corrosion and nastiness. It's just pressed in and held in by the jets.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

mix screws turned no problem for me. however, i just noticed the cyl3/4 carb bowl was dripping fuel out of the drain plug, and now it turns out the inside threads are stripped so it wouldn't tighten. i need a new bowl now...ugh. but have no idea where to get one. part fische's don't sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by c0okiez View Post
              mix screws turned no problem for me. however, i just noticed the cyl3/4 carb bowl was dripping fuel out of the drain plug, and now it turns out the inside threads are stripped so it wouldn't tighten. i need a new bowl now...ugh. but have no idea where to get one. part fische's don't sell them.
              Well, like I said, I've got a 2nd set that would be great for parts.

PM me if interested.

Comment

its been a couple days since ive been on here. but now, im running into more issues. After adjusting the mix screws to 2-2.5 turns out (all 4 of them) and leaving the tank sitting a day or two with rust remover in it, the bike won't start. it will crank and crank but wont turn over. i swear fixing something always causing more things to go wrong.

Comment

Did you prime the carbs first? Even after a couple of days like that it may take a few minutes to get enough fuel in to start up.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

yeah the carbs were primed, it is getting spark, but choke or no choke it does the same thing. crank, crank, crank. checked the petcock after reassembling and the fuel flows with vacuum applied. but the bastard won't turn over

Comment

Sometimes I squirt a little gas into the sync plug holes, then crank it...

Check that your idle adj screw is turned up enough (or maybe too much?)

If it fires up & the RPM's immediately shoot through the roof, hit the kill switch & back the the idle adj screw down..

Re-check your petcock vaccum line & make sure it's connected

Good luck.
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hi,

Continuing our process of elimination...

Did you install new aftermarket float bowl gaskets?

If you did install aftermarket gaskets with punch-outs, make sure they are exactly the same configuration as the OEM gaskets. You'll notice in the example above that there are TWO punch-outs that need to be removed to make the aftermarket gasket exactly like the OEM gasket. And all gaskets in the carb rack may not be exactly the same (although I know we're dealing with only two here).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

hey skreemer, I am looking at bikebandit oem catalog for the 89 gs500. Is the mix screw referred to as the screw pilot, #23. If so, is the spring listed with it the same as well as the 83-86 550es.
                          Thanks and sorry for jumping in.

Comment

i havent installed aftermarket gaskets so i can't figure out what the deal with this bike is.

Comment

Working...
                            X