Choke cable for 82 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable for 82 GS650G

My choke cable is very sticky, not sure what the PO used on it but it looks like chapstick caked in the lever end. I ordered a new one from Boulevard Suzuki. Turns out its the one for an 81 GS650 with a big knob on the end, part# 58400-45110. I found another microfiche and I think I need part# 58410-34500. I can't find this anywhere. Does anyone know if I can take the knob off the cable I have? Thanks!

Apparently there's a 58410-34500 available in the UK:

1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

I had the same issue on an 82 GS550, apparently there's multiple choke cables on the microfiche and they ordered the wrong one for me. I was able to get the right one, had to order it from the local Suzuki dealer.

Comment

Did you try just lubing it as supposed to do annually? Could just be dry. Also check for kinks. Never tried but maybe the carb slides at the other end were gunked up too making the choke hard to move?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Ms. MP3Girl,

You'll find an extensive list of vendors in your "mega-welcome". The failsafe option is to give Z1Enterprises.com a call and have them order up the right cable for you. (They don't list everything available on their website.) Also among my favorite online OEM vendors are partshark.com and cyclepartsnation.com. If you know the part number you need it should be a simple operation. Of course, lubing the cable you have may be the quickest and easiest solution.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by MP3Girl View Post
            My choke cable is very sticky, not sure what the PO used on it but it looks like chapstick caked in the lever end. I ordered a new one from Boulevard Suzuki. Turns out its the one for an 81 GS650 with a big knob on the end, part# 58400-45110. I found another microfiche and I think I need part# 58410-34500. I can't find this anywhere. Does anyone know if I can take the knob off the cable I have? Thanks!
            If you don't clean the gunk out of lever end, a new cable might be no improvement- clean it and when you have cable disconnected, try dripping a very light oil down the cable, something like 3-1 oil.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

How I Learned to Love the Lube.

As long as the cable is not frayed, get down to your local auto parts gadgets and widgets type store and pick up a cable luber.

They are usually about 5-10 bucks, and will last you a lifetime

First clean out the cable sheathing by running some 3-in-1, or wd-40 through, then lube the cable with some white lithium grease, or dedicated cable lube.
              Done deal, easy peasy, no fuss, no muss, did I say it's easy?

Here's some additional instructions too if you need 'em.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. We have a cable luber so I tried that again after I cleaned out more gunk. I think it's a little better. While doing that I noticed oil on the rear rim now. I guess the hub oil is leaking from somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MP3Girl View Post
                  Thanks for the help everyone. We have a cable luber so I tried that again after I cleaned out more gunk. I think it's a little better. While doing that I noticed oil on the rear rim now. I guess the hub oil is leaking from somewhere.
                  It may not be as bad as you fear, it could be overfilled with gear oil. Check the level. The rear units are pretty tough, worst case scenario, pick up used one from breakers or eBay. They are not that rare and should be pretty cheap, just make sure it is for a 650, the bigger bikes used a different part.

A quick search of eBay show them around $50 bucks delivered to my door.

Be sure to check BassCliff website for a factory service download. Best deal around.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                    It may not be as bad as you fear, it could be overfilled with gear oil. Check the level. The rear units are pretty tough, worst case scenario, pick up used one from breakers or eBay. They are not that rare and should be pretty cheap, just make sure it is for a 650, the bigger bikes used a different part.

A quick search of eBay show them around $50 bucks delivered to my door.

Be sure to check BassCliff website for a factory service download. Best deal around.
                    Yeah, check the level and make sure it's gear oil (thick and stinky ) and not something PO substituted !
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X