restrictors for pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restrictors for pods

ok i dident want to get into this argument but pondering usually gets me into trouble.

ok starting on the 1000GT and i was surprised with what i had to do. built a new fuse box similar to the one on cliffs site with some mod re did a lot of the connections. checked over the usual coils, stator, r/r, signal gen.. ect

it starts with an arm or rags over the airbox side of the carbs for the restriction. im going to do the intake boots & o-rings.

Z1 dosent have the airbox boots for the 1000 i can get them from babbits for about 60$. then i have to seal the airbox itself.

ok heres the real question would it be possible to do POD's with a restriction plate v.s. rejetting or going stock

or one big pod with a custom manifold

something like this
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2011, 04:20 AM.

Comment

or this single hole design (i know it dosent look right)

Comment

if that is what you want then get some cheap emgo pods and dip them 1/2 into a rubber insulation dip to even further restrict the flow.

Comment

you mean that rubber dip for tool handles n such??

Comment

I hope he was being facetious. Emgos are junk and the only vehicle I would put them on is anything my ex drives, in the hope that it would self-destruct.
            If your question is sincere, I would put individual pods (K&N or (was it APE?)) and then build a box around all 4 pods. At the back I would put a plate with an adjustable hole of some type as the air restictor.
            Personally, I would do what I am currently doing with my GPz, which is to dial in the jetting for pods and be done with it.

Comment

WOW!

In my little mind, I have always thought that the main reason to install pods was to increase the air available to the engine for enhanced performance.

Is there really that much aesthetic appeal to the pods to go through that much effort to install them? I mean, you have to re-jet for the pods, which adds an area of uncertainty. Now you want to try to re-flow the pods to match the stock airbox so you don't have to re-jet?

You must REALLY like the "look" of pods.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Restrictor plate? Really?
                Just put in a 450 engine and call it good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Now you want to try to re-flow the pods to match the stock airbox so you don't have to re-jet?
                  yesser. i am trying to make something to reduce the parts that wear out, as well as simplify it.

and no i dont care for the look of pods and i think the big open space would make me sigh but lets face it. its 30 yrs old parts are not as obtainable as they were and thats going to get worse

Comment

Originally posted by refeicul View Post
                    yesser. i am trying to make something to reduce the parts that wear out, as well as simplify it.

and no i dont care for the look of pods and i think the big open space would make me sigh but lets face it. its 30 yrs old parts are not as obtainable as they were and thats going to get worse
                    With this lofty goal in mind, why would you want pods at all?
                    Seal the airbox once and let it run another thirty years.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      With this lofty goal in mind, why would you want pods at all?
                      Seal the airbox once and let it run another thirty years.

for reasons stated. maybe something like this

Comment

Originally posted by refeicul View Post
                        ok i dident want to get into this argument but pondering usually gets me into trouble.

ok starting on the 1000GT and i was surprised with what i had to do. built a new fuse box similar to the one on cliffs site with some mod re did a lot of the connections. checked over the usual coils, stator, r/r, signal gen.. ect

it starts with an arm or rags over the airbox side of the carbs for the restriction. im going to do the intake boots & o-rings.

Z1 dosent have the airbox boots for the 1000 i can get them from babbits for about 60$. then i have to seal the airbox itself.

ok heres the real question would it be possible to do POD's with a restriction plate v.s. rejetting or going stock

or one big pod with a custom manifold
                        If you are trying to decide between making your pods more restrictive instead of rejetting, rejet. Rejetting is going to be easier than trying to fine tune any restriction. I am guessing that the restrictor plates that you manufacture will limit performance and be harder to jet correctly than a stock, sealed air box.

The mainifold style airbox is also going to be as difficult to dial in unless you model it off of a stock airbox or have an advanced knowledge of fluid dynamics.

If pods are you only option, which I doubt since parts are still available, another member here had created plastic pod covers that were adjustable. It reminded me of styrofoam coffee cup that was placed over the pod cones.
                        Here it is, rather creative.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

I’ve restricted pod filters with thick plastic cup. I cut down the cups to match the filter leaving about 1/8 to ¼ inch between the large metal end of the filter and cup. Easy and adjustable. Just be sure to use a nylon lock nut with lock tight. Don’t want the nut to go into the carbs. If you paint the cups they look cool too like clear cups with kandy apple paint or dyed.

Comment

why? why? why? why?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              why? why? why? why?
                              for reasons stated.
                              Important reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X