restrictors for pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graham View Post
    Shimming jet needles works most of the time and when it doesn’t just change the needle. You can get Mikuni needles in different sizes and tapers.

Then do what you're gonna do and post back with some (hopefully) positive results. If it means saving someone a buck or two it would be some useful info.

If it dont work out for ya and you end up spending twice the coin on jets and what-not then of course, we wanna know that to
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      Then do what you're gonna do and post back with some (hopefully) positive results. If it means saving someone a buck or two it would be some useful info.

If it dont work out for ya and you end up spending twice the coin on jets and what-not then of course, we wanna know that to
      I’ll measure the 5d58 stock needles and check my charts. Maybe I could post a lean to rich list of Mikuni needles to replace the 5d58 used in a lot of GS vacuum carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by refeicul View Post
        ok i dident want to get into this argument but pondering usually gets me into trouble.

ok starting on the 1000GT and i was surprised with what i had to do. built a new fuse box similar to the one on cliffs site with some mod re did a lot of the connections. checked over the usual coils, stator, r/r, signal gen.. ect

it starts with an arm or rags over the airbox side of the carbs for the restriction. im going to do the intake boots & o-rings.

Z1 dosent have the airbox boots for the 1000 i can get them from babbits for about 60$. then i have to seal the airbox itself.

ok heres the real question would it be possible to do POD's with a restriction plate v.s. rejetting or going stock

or one big pod with a custom manifold
        If you got the stock air box and all it needs is boots for $60 dollars WHY would you want to waste the time and money,[effort ] involved in trying to restrict a pod filter that you don't care for the look of in the first place???
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

It is possible to restrict pods with just a little imagination. On my son's 79 425, he completely customized it out to a military style bike...olive drab paint, custom/welded rack, etc...

He wanted pods so what we did was up his main jets using some from a GS750 we had lying around. We did that because we had bought the pods (Emgos) much earlier and later found out through this forum that they are notorius for allowing too much air. I then found some sheets of camo foam at a Hobby Lobby and took a guess at what might be a workable amount of restriction. I tried about a 60% amount of restriction by cutting a piece of foam and using black zip ties to wrap them around the outside of the pods. And that was it!!! It ran great from the first kick start with very little backfiring. So it can be done....just take your time and use your imagination.
          sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
          1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
          1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
          1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
          1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
          1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
          1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
          1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Working...
          X