Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650E Jetting, stock airbix with V&H 4into1

Hello,

I acquired a 1982 GS650E, It has 6100 miles, and was stored in warm garage by original owner. Last road it in 1999, but did not run right. What I also saw was few years earlier he bought a V&H 4 into 1 (sadly he did not keep stock exhaust). He had a Suzuki dealer install it along with a K&N air filter to replace the stock one. Also they removed the air box cover, which he did not get from them.

I believe this became the reason the bike was parked. It never ran right. He stated it ran too lean. He wished he did not change to K&N. He did not have stock air filter either. Before he lost interest, he created a custom stock cover out of flat plastic stock with a small 1" by 3" window toward carb. He also handed me some one size too hot plugs which were soot black. As part of the paper work he had the V&H sheet which stated to change main jets to 115, pilot to 45 and remove air box cover. It did not say to change stock air filter.

I got the bike home and what I found was 130 main, stock pilot @42.5, but the fixed fuel screws on the carb top side near engine had the caps remove (I am thinking they were OEM sealed?) and were out 3.5 turns. I am sure they are not OEM setting nor is this published. My plan to solve this issue was simply to follow V&H recommendations of course…. easy?

I proceeded to clean carbs, replaced all intake boots for one separated and others were showing signs of fatigue. I installed the 115 main and 45 pilot recommended by V&H and returned the fuel screw to 3.5 turns out (thinking at the time that was factory). I also purchased a new OEM air filter and it came oiled. Air Cover off as recommended by V&H.

When I drove the bike it ran poorly as I accelerated. I removed the air filter completely (hard for me to tell if too rich or lean) and the bike ran much worse. Too lean! I still had the home made cover and put that on. The bike ran 90% perfect. But the plugs are black for now too much fuel.

So I found a cover on eBay (GS550, but looks same from fiche pic… awaiting its delivery now). I want to return the air box, back to OEM specifications. If I had stock exhaust I would put all jets back to original sizes. What would you do for all OEM but the V&H 4 into 1?

How’s this for a start. First is all EOM and the second is where I think for the V&H change only, and last was V&H recommendations that were too lean)

Anyone know what Suzuki set the Fuel screw turn from factory on a 82 650E??

Main Jet Pilot Jet Fuel Screw turns
    97.5 42.5 ???? (OEM… Anyone know what the turns were to be?)

102.5 42.5 2.5 (all stock, but V&H 4 into 1, What do you think??)

115 45 ???? (What V&H recommended with no air box cover only. Too lean)

Isn't it fun to explore others attempts to improve things? So you're trying to use an OEM filter in an custom made box? Pictures would be helpful. Did you find a complete setup off ebay- airbox,air filter box, cover? My L version has air filter cover on right side- I think on the E, the cover faced up.Only 6100 miles- this bike deserves a rebirth!
    Last edited by tom203; 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM. Reason: ?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry if I was not clear. The only thing missing on the stock air box was no cover. Since V&H said to remove the dealer who installed the exhaust system and rejettied initially remove the cover and it got lost.

The previous owner tried to recreate the cover, but did not get the OEM cover (not sold seperately it looks like). Also no ebay back theniether to fiund used. Also he had a K&N filter in the stock air box without its cover. V&H said nothing about how to jet for that. K&N is much freer flowing than OEM filter

So I am going back to complete stock air box stuff, with it OEM cover (from a GS550 should be the same I hope and the stock air filter not K&N.

So all should be like OEM here again.

But I will syill have the V&H four into one not stock exhaust.

I am trying to figure out what I should use for jetting (Up 2 stepps on main for 4 into o1 only?). What the low speed Fuel Screw. What turns should it be for OEM given published info say "Fixed" It was at 3.5 out but I bet this was turned out some at dealer for he did not up the pilot from 42.5 to 45 as V&H advised. Is it 2 turns all stock with 42.5 Pilot jet?

I hope this clarifies and I wish I could get to the point quicker.

Comment

So it is all stock but the V&H 4 into 1. Yes got OEM air box cover off ebay comming. Looks just like fiche pic for my 650E

So I need to know what I should use for main jet (EOM was 97.5) with 4-1 exhau st and what the infamous Fuel Mixture screw turns out should be for stock Pilot jet if we can every know since not published by freekin Suzuki

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Two sizes on the mains might not be quite enough, might take three or four.

For the mixture screws, start with them out three full turns. Warm up the bike (go for a short ride), then turn the screws in slowly, listening for highest idle speed.
          You might end up with them in the 2 to 2.5 range, but it will run OK at three turns to warm it up.

Let me know when you want some in-person help. I am within "striking range" and extremely bored on weekends.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think I have that cover for you.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Give Steve a call, he can get you straightened out. He is right, the mixture screw doesn't have a set position, it is adjusted for best idle.

Nice looking bike. Looks like it was well cared for and has a few extra goodies.

If the exhaust isn't in too bad of condition, I am sure it could be sold to purchase a decent stock exhaust. V & H 4 into 1 that fit a 650 are rare as hens teeth. Decent stocks come around occasionally, but I am not sure the 650 g exhausts will mount up perfectly in rear, should fit fine for head.

Comment

tkent02: If the one coming via ebay is not correct I'll be in touch. Thanks

waterman:
                I wish I had the original exhuast for re sale value someday maybe. He held it for a long while then simply threwit in a metal bin (ouch). For riding the V&H is cool. I repacked it and it sounds more mellow than loud.

So far I had to get new batt. Tires, tubes, carb boots and orings, that windshield was cracked (someting fell on it and I found a new old stock ($70 plus shipping), One mirror broke too, so order some out of Thialand via ebay, and had to order the holder braket from suzuki, plug caps (two were open), Full syn 10-40 oil filet, stock air filter, Iridums plugs (why not since I' m tossing money around like water now). 4 new Pilots 45 and four new mains 115 (all per V&H). runs poopy... needs more money... I ramble

Steve:

So I maybe no need to buy 42. 5 pilots, the 45 I just bought are probally OK since I can tweek? What do you think 2.5 more is about 1 turn in? Out is rich and less turn out is leaner correct? Looks like I need to find a real short screw driver. I'll have a fan blow air on the engine while I adjust it for it sounds like it can take a bit.

So you think three or four on mains so that would be 97.5 + 7.5 = 105 or 97.5 +10 = 107.5 I have 115 ( 3 or 4 size over what you adavice ) in it now but no cover, clearly too lean. I am going to wait for the OEM air box cover and try it as is . But 3 or 4 size too much sure sounds like I am going to be way too rich.

I still have the K&N filter. That is much more free flowing than OEM I just bought. If I put that in with stock cover does that require more on the main. I seams if one goes so much on main why is the middle ignore you know Jet Needle and Needle jet... sounds like that would get to lean middle to 3/4 throttle? Maybe better to just bite the bullett leave OEM filter amd back off the size of mains as suggested.

Taking those carbs out was tough (for me) I had a hard time getting intake boots to line up on carb even for if not even the fully on the clamps simply slide back and it pulls boot off carb throat. I'll be a pro at this I am sure.

I'll be in touch eitherway

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Vintageman View Post
                  What do you think 2.5 more is about 1 turn in? Out is rich and less turn out is leaner correct? Looks like I need to find a real short screw driver. I'll have a fan blow air on the engine while I adjust it for it sounds like it can take a bit.
                  Turn each mixture screw in until it "lightly" seats (no gorilla force here), then unscrew it back out counting one full rotation as one turn. Set each as needed to achieve the highest idle, then note how many turns each carb (cylinder) needed.

Turning the screws out richens the mixture, in leans it out.

Very necessary to use a fan blowing on a running engine while playing...

I still have the K&N filter. That is much more free flowing than OEM I just bought. If I put that in with stock cover does that require more on the main.
                  I use K&N replacement filters all the time - I don't think it affects the jetting at all however, you DO need a well sealed airbox or these bikes will not run right - air (vacuum) leaks are killers.

I seams if one goes so much on main why is the middle ignore you know Jet Needle and Needle jet... sounds like that would get to lean middle to 3/4 throttle?
                  Lots of us here raise the needles about .040"-.050" using small washers (unlelss your needles have an adjustable clip). Really helps eliminate that stumble at mid-range.

Taking those carbs out was tough (for me) I had a hard time getting intake boots to line up on carb even for if not even the fully on the clamps simply slide back and it pulls boot off carb throat. I'll be a pro at this I am sure.
                  Everyone has their own method for doing this - they can be a real PITA as you know. Some bikes are easier than others too. I spray some silicone on the inside of the carb boots to help them slide on.

I also leave the clamps loose on the engine side, so I can rotate each boot to put it in the best position on each carb inlet - the boots have a slight angle to them and you can see when they fit the best as you rotate each one slightly.

Good luck, your bike looks very nice - if you are lucky enough to have Steve come visit you, you'll seee why he's one of the gurus here...

Mike
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Update,

I put the stock air cover and stock air filter in the air box, 105 on the mains. 45 on the pilot (too cheap to put new 42.5 back in). Started with mixture screws at 2 turns out since I was 2.5 large than stock on pilot. New plug caps and iridiums in it. The bike runs very well. Accept occasionally while cruising easy it acts like it bogs or not responsive. Open it up an pulls to redline and beyond no problem. Idles well.

Man I wish I could tell the difference between too lean and too rich just by driving feel. My first conscious call was too rich due to idle jet larger than stock pilot. I set mixture screw to 1.5 out only. Seamed better, but it did it again.

Well I am not at idle maybe 1/8 throttle so maybe it is the needle and I am too lean?

Well I suppose when it is doing it I should just hold it there, then quickly turn it off and look at a plug.

I am just not sure if too lean or too rich by feel.

I am thinking of raising the needle washer trick.

Would that hurt?

Is it simply a good idea?

Can make that change without taking carbs off?

So I am 95% there. Sometimes (not always) while cruise light throttle it bogs like it’s too rich? Or too lean? I open it up and then return to cruise it is OK

Must be adjustment or needle Can't be mains at that throttle position???

If I am 2.5 larger on pilot can the mixture screw compensate… like less turns out

Thanks

Comment

Read my previous post about setting the idle mixture screws - take your time doing that & it should help smooth out the transition from idle to pilot circuit. 2 turns out seems a bit lean to me.

IMO, raising the needles is a necessary thing to eliminate mid-range stumble. The washers are hard to find, but Radio Shack sells them in an "assorted washer" bag - you want the #4 washers out of that bag. The kid at the counter doesn't know jack - go through the drawers and locate the flat washers yourself.

No, you don't have to remove the carbs to shim the needles - just remove the carb tops to get at the needles & slides.

Have you done a carb sync yet? That should bring it all together...

Just curious, where are you located? I spend at lot of time between St. J & Derby VT.

good luck
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Hikermikem,
                        I went back a read your initial reply.
                        I am not sure I understand. So here I go.
                        I think you are you saying to start at 1 turn out on all four carbs. Then I can see three ways of doing this
                        1) Adjust one carb only for fastest idle my choice (one of the two ends since can reach it). Then count the turns and then set the other three to be the same?
                        2) Adjust each one time individually while looking for max idle speed each time
                        3) I initially thought I would adjust all four at once 1/4, restart and check idle.
                        Can I use my tach or are we talking small changes and need RPM instrument?
                        Carb synced, when I had them off I checked the butterfly gaps at Idle and the opening gap was the same as best as I could measure so sync should be close.
                        One question I ask, but now answer. I am using 54 for pilot not 42.5. I was thinking OK since I can adjust screw. Am I wrong! Is 2.5 (about 6% more than stock) more on the pilot more than say a turn in? When I was at 2 turns out it seems like I was going to foul plugs (skipping until I revved it up a few time to clean it out like a two stroke ) so I went 1.5 turns out on all 4.
                        1.5 may appear lean but again I have 45 not 42.5 pilots. Maybe 2.5 more is trivial maybe not. Wish I wasn’t so cheap, I have a guilty conscious and not sure how much issue 2.5 is. I wish Suzuki published turns on this bike and not bloody fixed
                        I am on the same side as you but south a bit more in-between Lebanon NH and Charlestown NH

Comment

You want your option #2 - adjust each carb using the "highest idle" method. I use my tach & my ear for this. Set one carb, then bring the idle back to 1k or so, then move on to the next carb & repeat the process.

No, I didn't mean to imply that you should start each carb at 1 turn out - that's too lean. I would start at 2.5 - 3.0 turns & go from there.

I don't think the pilot jets & the idle mix screws really interact that much with each other - they are two different circuits. The idle circuit is active when there's no throttle, the pilot circuit is active at 1/4 throttle. However, I don't think the 45 pilot's you have will be an issue.

Once you have the carb mix screws set, then a good carb sync is in order. The bench sync will get you going, but it still needs to be done with vacuum gage.

Good luck
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Vintageman,

It seems I'm a little late to the party.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

hikermikem

I did not know the Pilot Jet and idle Mixture screw were seprate circuits. I have experience with the VM Mikunis where the idle screw is really the air adjusting screw feeding the pilot jet for atomization of the fuel throught it.

So in these CV Mic Carbs the air feeding the Pilot screw is a fixed passage somewhere (Any theory on these carbs I can read).

The Idle Mixture screw is adjusted at idle but influences up to 1/4 throttle. By george that is the one that must be out. Also sinc eI am at 1.5 turns out chances are I am too lean

One more questions, When you do this adjusting, do you have the gas tank off out of hte way or lifted up on one end.

I mean how do you access the inner two adjustment screws for they are hard to access with tank on.

You have been very helpful and I plan to give this a go this weekend.

Also guys thanks for the welcome,

Comment

Working...
                              X