looking for a petcock rebuild kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a petcock rebuild kit

looking for a petcock rebuilt kit online for a 1980 gs1000g none i seen on ebay said they were for my bike.

Not that difficult to find. Try Bike Bandit, Dennis Kirk, and so on.

Go to the GS Owners forum and introduce yourself. Within a day, Bassclif will welcome you and send a link to a page with all sorts of information. Some of it includes on-line dealers.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

You should also be aware that the success rate with petcock rebuild kits is about 10-15%.

You will actually be better off getting a new petcock.

What is wrong with the one you have?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Mental2,

Sorry I'm late with this. Read it, lean it, love it, live it. I'm serious.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have also heard lots of bad things about rebuild kits, I went ahead and forked the dough over for a new one to prevent future headaches...

Comment

Originally posted by skubasteve! View Post
            I have also heard lots of bad things about rebuild kits, I went ahead and forked the dough over for a new one to prevent future headaches...
            Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/SUZUKI-GS400-GS4...item2eae7cd4bd

Here is a tutorial I put together at the time:http://www.mediafire.com/?kgnloyyt1tq

I have used his kit to rebuild my GS1000G 1980 petcock a year or two back and its still working.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

if i touch the bottom of the petcock its wet sometimes never drips just wet like its seeping out a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mental2 View Post
                if i touch the bottom of the petcock its wet sometimes never drips just wet like its seeping out a little bit.

If you look at the kit shown in the ebay link you will see a narrow round seal. That one goes around the tap part and causes the leak.

Comment

Rebuilt kit are a waste of time and money,
                  i paid almost 30 bucks (tax included) for a rebuilt kit.
                  The seal i needed was back order and i have no other choice than the cheap rebuilt kit.
                  The petcock was leaking witout the vacuum connected.
                  I ended up using the old diaphragm in the petcock.
                  The price of oem petcock has almost doubled last year.
                  If you buy one and it work its your lucky day.
                  Marc
                  AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                  1978 GS1000C X2
                  1978 GS1000E X2
                  1979 GS1000S
                  1979 gs1000
                  1983 gs400e

Comment

I rebuilt mine when I got the bike and had no issues at all...heard stories that they arent worth it but I think they are like carbs..gotta do the job meticulously and right..clean work area use corrrect parts etc etc..new ones are spendy..I got my kit off ebay.

DDM

Comment

I took mine apart and put it back together without the rebuild kit. I found there was nothing wrong with except that the petcock was sticking and the vacuum on the RUN was not working that well. I put it back together and "POOF" it now works. NO kit and it all works.

Lucky me.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
                        I rebuilt mine when I got the bike and had no issues at all...heard stories that they arent worth it but I think they are like carbs..gotta do the job meticulously and right..clean work area use corrrect parts etc etc..new ones are spendy..I got my kit off ebay.
                        Basically the kit will not repair a petcock if the parts not being replaced are broken, damaged or worn.

Comment

And the kit won't repair anything if the parts don't fit at all, which is often the case.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

None of my rebuilds work, second hand petcocks have worked ok but its a risk, so i put an inline on/off tap between it and the carbs, incase the vacuum fails, a new one is the best investment.

Comment

A rebuild kit will repair some petcocks, and not others. It depends on what's wrong. One complaint with rebuild kits themselves is it seems they are often a hodgepodge of parts from a couple different types of petcock, and often incomplete for any one particular type. You need to look close at what you are buying to make sure all the parts you may need are included.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X