GS650 starts but dumps fuel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waterman View Post
    Believe it or not, these carbs are not totally shot. Both of those posts can be fixed and or carb bodies exchanged. Your hexagonal main jets are not meant to go in this carb body, you will need the round style like pictured. You already have a 122.5 main jet, this is considerably larger than stock, so it is possible someone has jetted these carbs for your setup.

My concern is what about the rest of the carb parts, which needle do you have in there? Are pilot jets stock? Hopefully, someone has taken time to correctly jet this to your bike setup.

My suggestion is fix/replace bad posts, clean existing components, note your specific parts on paper, correctly set your float levels, reassemble with new orings and see how it performs. With a big dose of luck, it may be spot on.
    This is what carb #1 has in it:

Main Jet: 122.5
    Air Jet: 150.0
    Jet Needle: 5C45 (It has no grooves, and is not tapered)

I'll have to get the pilot jet when I get back to the house this evening.

This is all easy-peasy. There's nothing to these carbs. I was expecting something much more ominous.

:EDIT:
    Pilot Jet is a 42.5
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Pilot jet is 42.5.

Carb number one is cleaned, has new orings and painted up a bit.

One question though, I have a left over spring, lol. I have no idea where it came from, as I had everything in labeled correctly in zip lock bags. This was in my "Carb #1" bag...can someone tell me what this is so it can go be in it's home? I looked at all the schematics I have and it doesn't seem to have a place at all in the carb.

Comment

Goes with the mixture screw I think.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's about an inch or so long.

Comment

choke or enrichment spring

Comment

choke or enrichment spring
              Maybe I missed, but where does the enrichment spring go?

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                Maybe I missed, but where does the enrichment spring go?

In this picture, the choke enrichment is the brass nut on upper left of carb. Unscrew and spring goes over protruding rod. Then reassemble. I assume that you have disassembled the choke and forgot to put it back in during reassembly.

Comment

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...d/SANY0367.jpg

In this picture, the choke enrichment is the brass nut on upper left of carb. Unscrew and spring goes over protruding rod. Then reassemble. I assume that you have disassembled the choke and forgot to put it back in during reassembly.
                  DOH!! That is it, thank you so much!!

Comment

Either the o-ring kit didn't come with enough o-rings, or I'm using o-rings where I shouldn't. I'm two short for the fuel lines and vents.

Comment

OK - All the carbs are rebuilt, and getting ready to repair #1 since I cannot find a replacement carb body.

I just need to know what's a good baseline to set these carbs up at to at leat get it running? Like the air screw, etc?

Comment

I may have a carb body, if you don't want to take the repair route. When we were doing the rebuild on mine a couple of years back, I ended up buying I think 3 racks off ebay, all together. You're looking for the #1 body, correct? If I have one, I'll be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by spadefoot View Post
                          I may have a carb body, if you don't want to take the repair route. When we were doing the rebuild on mine a couple of years back, I ended up buying I think 3 racks off ebay, all together. You're looking for the #1 body, correct? If I have one, I'll be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping.
                          Yes! Please look at and let me know! That's the only thing keeping my bike off the road at the moment.

Comment

I'll be home around 6pm Eastern, will hunt through the drawer full of carb parts and see if I've got one in usable shape.

Comment

Thank yuo so much! I really appreciate it

Comment

I believe this is the one you're looking for. I took some pics from each side so you can make sure it matches your #1.

Link to pics: http://imgur.com/a/lVbC7#N5sUn

Comment

Working...
                                X