X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skateguy50
    that is important to have but not for driveway tests, as I understand it that is more to keep them in clean air and with the bike not moving it shouldnt matter. (but I easily could be wrong)

I was talking about the carb vent tubes, on mine the fuel line goes to the middle of the rack and between 1-2 and 3-4 is another connection for a vent tube, you will want to install that before running on the road as it gets the vent air "clean" without wind changing the pressure.

I dont have the tubes on them at this point (before cleaning if you cant tell) anyways the line on is the fuel line. If you look between 1-2 and 3-4 you can see where the other line would connect, about 12" should do. dont think I have any good pics showing the routing of it but basically just get it back a bit and down.
    No, I got the tubes on there because it was spraying fuel everywhere and was making the bike dangerous to diagnose....now it just runs out of the bottom of the bike and onto the ground, and it helped to figure out when the vents were leaking, and when it was leaking out of the intake on the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
      Here's a quick video of it running, maybe that will help a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_Fp8iq3Uc
      To me, it doesn't sound like it is firing on all four. Plus the obvious, gas draining out, the float valves need inspection. Pull the carbs, measure float height and carefully inspect the fuel valves for excessive wear. Considering how much fuel is draining through carbs, I would suspect that one of your floats may have failed completely and/or is stuck. After checking height, you may consider doing a static fuel level check to make sure floats are still working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
        To me, it doesn't sound like it is firing on all four. Plus the obvious, gas draining out, the float valves need inspection. Pull the carbs, measure float height and carefully inspect the fuel valves for excessive wear. Considering how much fuel is draining through carbs, I would suspect that one of your floats may have failed completely and/or is stuck. After checking height, you may consider doing a static fuel level check to make sure floats are still working properly.
        Thank you.

It is being kept at my buddies house as he has all the appropriate tools and means to make this as easy as possible, so his next day off, we're pulling the carbs and going through them.

Comment

Another issue might be the "professional rebuild" did not keep the parts separate for carb 1, 2, 3, 4 and mixed one of the float valves with the wrong seat making them not match up and just keep leaking fuel.

Comment

Another issue might be the "professional rebuild" did not keep the parts separate for carb 1, 2, 3, 4 and mixed one of the float valves with the wrong seat making them not match up and just keep leaking fuel.
            So what do I do to fix that, if that is the case?

Comment

I decided again that I'm going to keep the pods, instead of tracking down an OEM air box.

I did some research and discovered that going two up from the factory (110) jets is a good place to start, so I ordered some 120's. What pilot jet should I get?

Comment

I asked earlier, but if this is the case, how do I remedy this?

I received all the o-rings for the carb, the new bolt kit for the intake boots, the o-rings for the intake boots and the new 120 jets. I also have a service manual that cost me freaking 45 damn dollars.

This is most likely going to be done this Friday. I'm really hoping this straightens out my issues with the carbs.

A few things:

I've familiarized myself with the procedure of breaking these down with the manual, and I don't believe it is going to be a problem doing it. What I want to know is, what I need to look for when taking these apart. I'd much rather replace everything as need be instead of doing so after I have the carbs back in.

So, what should I look for when disassembling these?

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at these.

The Carb Rebuild Series

Carb Specs:
                  Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Carb Notes:
                  Synchronizing/Troubleshooting/Theory

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

Have a look at these.

The Carb Rebuild Series

Carb Specs:
                    Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Carb Notes:
                    Synchronizing/Troubleshooting/Theory

BassCliff

Yes sir, I have seen all those! Thank you!

What I am asking is in the way of damage. What to look for damage wise...how to discern what needs repairing etc.

I have so many of your PDF's saved BassClif, thanks for providing such an awesome resource. I'll give those a look over again though, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                      Y
                      What I am asking is in the way of damage. What to look for damage wise...how to discern what needs repairing etc.
                      Hi,

Once you take your carbs apart I think it will be obvious if something is amiss. You've got 4 carbs to compare. If something looks different in one then you may have something worn or broken. Most, if not all, of the metal bits (jets, needles, valve seats, etc) should be OK. It might be hard to tell if a float needle or seat is not making a good seal, if it's slightly out of round. You'll be able to tell if, for example, the needles have any damage. Normally all you have to do is clean the carb bodies and all of the metal bits, then reassemble with the O-ring kit.

BassCliff

Comment

I am a very sad man right now, and I hate redneck backdoor half assed wanna-be mechanics too.

I took off the left most carb to redo everything first, since that was the one that was dumping fuel. Well, it's totally buggered. I'll let the pics speak for me.

That is JB Weld holding that post together....WHO DOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS????? These were supposed to have been rebuilt at a shop that the previous owner took it to...I seen the damn receipt. I will bet my child that these haven't been cracked open in less than a decade.

Also, my jet's don't fit and the ones that are in it are 122.5's...what carbs do I have?!?

Guys, I have no idea where to go from here...can I get some guidance?

Comment

Wow, Nothing personal, but i'd start hunting the wreckers and ebay to find a set of carbs that suit. Those carbs are a trainwreck made up to look like something else altogether.

The post is in theory repairable if you use some aluminium soldering/brazing material, but unless i had already bought the repair stuff previously for an earlier repair (i.e. the equipment needed & materials would equal if not exceed the cost of buying a working set of carbs), and knew where i could get another set of carbs cheaply if i made a mess of it. I wouldn't bother trying any further repairs and would just bin & buy another.

Comment

Yeah...I'm not even sure if they are the correct carbs because the jets aren't even close. I have no idea where to even begin to look to get new carbs.

Comment

What part number would I search for to track down some carbs for this thing?

"Suzuki GS 650 Mikuni carburetor" isn't really pulling anything up on ebay.

Comment

Do a search in the tips and tricks area for a post called - broken float post - by CDNoel. It contains advice on fixing a broken float post that we did on two of my carbs. He fixed it a year ago and my bike runs great ever since.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X