GS650 starts but dumps fuel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Do a search in the tips and tricks area for a post called - broken float post - by CDNoel. It contains advice on fixing a broken float post that we did on two of my carbs. He fixed it a year ago and my bike runs great ever since.
    Is this it?

So, it's a fairly common issue I take it?

Comment

Yep that is the post. Works out well but you will have to take your time.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Yep that is the post. Works out well but you will have to take your time.
        Im not sure if I want to fix these or replace them. It was quite discouraging findthis like this. The rest of the carb isn't much better. It's got surface rust all on the inside and every single screw is rusted and marred up. I think after taking the time to replace all the hardware, fix this post....it might just be better and more economical to start with a better set and have a better baseline.

Comment

Looking at this chart on BassCliff's site; http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...at_height.html , and assuming those 122.5 jets are OEM, I think it's safe to say these carbs are from a '85 GS700. I wonder why someone did that? Maybe it's all they had, or maybe better performance?

I can't find any numbers on these carbs to identify them...anyone know where that might be?
          *EDIT*

It appears they could be from an '84-'86 GS1150 as well.

*EDIT 2*

Or going the other way, I guess it's possible it could be a 700cc engine as well. I got the bike just a few months ago and wasn't able to do anything with it until recently, and I have no idea what the history of the bike is. The bike is at my buddies house in his garage, so when he get's back into town, I'm going to go look at the numbers on the engine since all I've done is ran the VIN on the frame.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

No further input on this?

Comment

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned that the stock carbs for your bike are supposed to be Mikuni BS32SS, the same as on my bike (with a little different spacing). Measure the inside diameter of the engine side of the carbs. Is is 32mm? Have we seen a good picture of your carbs? Where did you order your jets from?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                I am a very sad man right now, and I hate redneck backdoor half assed wanna-be mechanics too.

I took off the left most carb to redo everything first, since that was the one that was dumping fuel. Well, it's totally buggered. I'll let the pics speak for me.

That is JB Weld holding that post together....WHO DOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS????? These were supposed to have been rebuilt at a shop that the previous owner took it to...I seen the damn receipt. I will bet my child that these haven't been cracked open in less than a decade.

Also, my jet's don't fit and the ones that are in it are 122.5's...what carbs do I have?!?

Guys, I have no idea where to go from here...can I get some guidance?
                Believe it or not, these carbs are not totally shot. Both of those posts can be fixed and or carb bodies exchanged. Your hexagonal main jets are not meant to go in this carb body, you will need the round style like pictured. You already have a 122.5 main jet, this is considerably larger than stock, so it is possible someone has jetted these carbs for your setup.

My concern is what about the rest of the carb parts, which needle do you have in there? Are pilot jets stock? Hopefully, someone has taken time to correctly jet this to your bike setup.

My suggestion is fix/replace bad posts, clean existing components, note your specific parts on paper, correctly set your float levels, reassemble with new orings and see how it performs. With a big dose of luck, it may be spot on.

Comment

So you don't think these could be the wrong carbs all together?

I have already decided to go ahead and pit this one aside and go through he other three. I need the experience anyways.

@BassCliff, I bought those jets from Bear Motorsports. Do they look to be the wrong ones?

:EDIT:

BassCliff, here are some pics of the carbs:

Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2011, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Hi,

From here it looks like you have the right carbs but were sent the wrong jets.

You need some new rubber plugs too.

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-08-2011, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

From here it looks like you have the right carbs but were sent the wrong jets.

You need some new rubber plugs too.

BassCliff
                      OK, thank you!

I'm not even going to bother sending those jets back...they'll just go in my spare parts bin.

So, it definitely doesn't have the stock jets, so I'm going to check out the needle and pilot jets and see what's going on.

I'll get some new rubber plugs too.

Comment

Wrong model

Hi, I have been following this thread as I also own a 1982 GS 650GL. I cross referenced the main jet you pulled from your carb 122.5, the only 32 mm carbs to use that jet in the GS series is on the 1985 GS700. Is it possible those carbs came off a GS700? Check the pilot air jet and compare it to this chart: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...at_height.html
                        If it is a 37.5, I'd bet they came off a 700. Hope this helps...Ron

Comment

Originally posted by ralbert View Post
                          Hi, I have been following this thread as I also own a 1982 GS 650GL. I cross referenced the main jet you pulled from your carb 122.5, the only 32 mm carbs to use that jet in the GS series is on the 1985 GS700. Is it possible those carbs came off a GS700? Check the pilot air jet and compare it to this chart: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...at_height.html
                          If it is a 37.5, I'd bet they came off a 700. Hope this helps...Ron
                          Yeah, that's the same thing I did, but from what I can tell, it seems the same carbs were used across multiple bike models.

If that's the case, those 122.5 jets will probably work in my application.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                            Yeah, that's the same thing I did, but from what I can tell, it seems the same carbs were used across multiple bike models.

If that's the case, those 122.5 jets will probably work in my application.
                            Hi,

Yes, with jetting changes, the BS32SS carbs were used on most of the bikes from 550cc to 850cc. However, the 550/650 rack has different spacing from the larger bikes. If those carbs fit on your bike I'm sure you can get them going with proper jetting.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                              Hi,

Yes, with jetting changes, the BS32SS carbs were used on most of the bikes from 550cc to 850cc. However, the 550/650 rack has different spacing from the larger bikes. If those carbs fit on your bike I'm sure you can get them going with proper jetting.

BassCliff
                              Thanks BassCliff...to bad you live in Cali, I'd love to shake your hand.

How long is too long to leave parts in the carb dip? I'm going ahead and cleaning through the other carbs (which are looking just fine btw, just EXTREMELY dirty). The jet out of the #1 carb was so corroded with that green crap, it was almost closed up. They've been soaking since about 6pm yesterday and I was going to take them out this evening when I got off work. Is that on OK amount of time?

Comment

24 hours is the recommended time to leave them in so they can break up enough of the junk inside everything.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X