Help with carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with carb rebuild

I have a 1981 GS 750. My #2 Carb has a vacuum port with a 1 inch black rubber cap on it. On the rebuild guide it says that it goes to the fuel petcock small tube fitting. This Bike was modified (too much I think!!!) when I got it and was wondering if it was supposed to be connected to something. Also, my airscrew for carb #1 is missing a washer and the fuel inlet needle valve seat clamp was missing uggghh. Not sure if that is a huge deal to have the seat clamp missing but my goal is clean up carbs and rejet as I have stock 2 into 1 headers but just pipes and pods. Also any ideas on where to start with a jet kit size? Sorry for the last questions a little more research on my part could prob figure it out!!! Thanks for any pointers.

Thanks for the help so far I could and would not have attempted any of my own repairs if it weren't for this website, Thank You!!!

Do you still have a vacuum petcock? If the PO capped it then maybe they had used a manual petcock and kept it when they sold you the bike.

Comment

Hey there

I'm just putting my carbs back together after my first time disassembling them so I know where you are at. I had two of my fuel/air screw washers stick in the carb body so maybe your washer is stuck to the o-ring and still wedged at the bottom of the hole.

Tom

Comment

To remove the spring, washer and o-ring easily, I use a pointed drywall screw.

Just stick it in the hole, give it about 1/8 twist, pull it out. Sometimes the o-ring comes out with the washer, other times you have to go in again.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The O ring and the washer are definitly not there. On Carb #3 I found them but for some reason they are not on other carbs. I do have a new petcock so I bet that's why the cap is on.

Comment

Robert Barr at http://www.cycleorings.com/washers.html sells replacement washers.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by haggisbasher View Post
              Robert Barr at http://www.cycleorings.com/washers.html sells replacement washers.

Tom
              When did he add washers to the inventory?

I have known about the o-rings and stainless boot mount hardware, was not aware of the washers.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Done with carb rebuild and took for a spin. Did not run well so on to next step!! I have 2 into 1 on each header and pipes and I have pods(on bike when I bought it). Any ideas on starting point for dynajet kit? When I bought the bike it had aluminum foil on pod filters to restrict flow so I was aware that there was an issue. Thanks for helping out a newbie!
                So far I found a stage 3 kit for about $100 on ebay.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM. Reason: got new info on rejet!

Comment

Working...
                X