Rejetting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting...

So I bought my bike with pods already installed and no stock air box. The bike starts and idles fine. The issues begin when I put the bike into gear and try to take off. The bike simply bogs down and dies. Common sense tells me that the bike is not getting enough fuel. So I figure that I'll follow the sage advice of the members here and clean the carbs. While I have the carbs apart, I figure that it might be a good idea to go ahead and rejet them because:

a) I'm at a high altitude

and

b) The bike is running pods

I've been told that a good rule of thub for the jets when switching to pods is two sizes bigger. How accurate is this?

The skeptic in me tells me that there are more aspects to take into consideration, but I don't know what they are. Any input or critique is appreciated.

You on the right track, but your logic is flawed

1. High altitude = less air= less fuel
    2. Pods = more air= more fuel

So ,go to a 120 main jet, a 20 pilot and raise the needles one notch. That's a good start. If you pipe isn't muffled, you'll have to go higher

It's plug chops and tuning from there

6,000'won't have a big effect on the tuning. Going over 12,000' passes will
    Last edited by Big T; 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Exactly the answer I needed. Thanks Big T. I guess I didn't really completely think through what I was writing.

Comment

Since Just1087 got his answer, I wont feel I'm hijacking this thread

I was getting on here to ask this exact same question. I'm about to take my carbs apart on my 650 and it has pods on it already when I got the bike and was going to ask the same question about going two up, haha.

It has pods and stock pipes, will I be good going with 120's as well? I've never done this before, so is there only one jet per carb?

Sorry if I am hijacking, but I figured it's better to ask here since OP already got his answer instead of creating another thread asking the same thing

:EDIT:

Also, where's the best place to get new jets?
        Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Once you figure out your sizes...

http://www.bear-motorsports.com/eshopitems_cat_6725-79075.Mikuni_Main_Jets.htm

This is what I used.

And from what I've learned, there is one Main Jet and one Pilot Jet per carb.

How dare you hijack my thread... that is just busch league.

Comment

Originally posted by jus1087 View Post
            Once you figure out your sizes...

http://www.bear-motorsports.com/eshopitems_cat_6725-79075.Mikuni_Main_Jets.htm

This is what I used.

And from what I've learned, there is one Main Jet and one Pilot Jet per carb.

How dare you hijack my thread... that is just busch league.
            Thank you haha.

According to Bassclif's site, my 650 uses 110's stock, so I'm gonna get some 120's. It says they have 42.5 pilots...I have no idea what size to go with on that.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2011, 12:57 AM.

Comment

I'm going to assume your name is Justin OP?

I just called Bear Motorsports to verify my order and she was weirded out because two different Justins, from two different states ordered the exact same order on the same day, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                Thank you haha.

According to Bassclif's site, my 650 uses 110's stock, so I'm gonna get some 120's. It says they have 42.5 pilots...I have no idea what size to go with on that.
                You may find 120s are too large, since you have a stock exhaust. You should need to change your pilot jets. I'd go 115s and raise your needle with shims
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  You may find 120s are too large, since you have a stock exhaust. You should need to change your pilot jets. I'd go 115s and raise your needle with shims
                  Hmm...It's getting new exhaust real soon...maybe I'll just leave them in then.

Comment

Hmm...It's getting new exhaust real soon...maybe I'll just leave them in then.
                    Well, you were warned about the fun! new exhaust,pods- I hope you like tuning!
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Well, you were warned about the fun! new exhaust,pods- I hope you like tuning!
                      Like I've said in other threads, it'll be a good learning experience for me

I promise I'm not being difficult, I look forward to it.

Comment

I'm going to assume your name is Justin OP?

I just called Bear Motorsports to verify my order and she was weirded out because two different Justins, from two different states ordered the exact same order on the same day, haha.
                        That's awesome...

Nothing I enjoy more than indirectly weirding out a complete stranger.

Comment

Working...
                        X