Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless Steel Bolt broken off in carb need help to remove.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless Steel Bolt broken off in carb need help to remove.

You've been given good direction on how to remove the broken bolt that isn't harming anything. Follow the directions it will work. I'd be afraid to even try to help you out with the vitriolic spewing you've done in your other "Help Me, come to my birthday party" thread. You don't know how to appreciate good, free help, you even seemed happy about how well your bike was running, for a fleeting moment. I could understand the rage and all if you'd just paid Chef $100.00 or more for the job he did for free, but there's absolutely no logic to your raging. I hope your "friends" are treated better, or do you buy them all?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 02:28 AM.

It looks like there's enough of the bolt protruding that you can either slot it or just grab it with a vice grips and turn it out

If nothing else, use some heat on the carb body to break any seal between the aluminum body and bolt
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You have got to be kidding me....

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        It looks like there's enough of the bolt protruding that you can either slot it or just grab it with a vice grips and turn it out

If nothing else, use some heat on the carb body to break any seal between the aluminum body and bolt
        Thanks im taking it apart right now i have some large vises im going to try grab it and twist the body after i soak it for a while and then heat up the body with my torch.

Comment

Originally posted by NOS View Post
          Thanks im taking it apart right now i have some large vises im going to try grab it and twist the body after i soak it for a while and then heat up the body with my torch.
          Don't use the torch, you may damage something. Just remove that gang bar and most likely the screw will unscrew with your fingers. If not, use the vice grips. If not that, dremmel a slot and use a screw driver. Should be an easy fix.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There's a guy down there named Chef that would be happy to do this little chore for you.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              There's a guy down there named Chef that would be happy to do this little chore for you.
              Another tip: Don't tighten down any of those rail mounting screws until they are all in place with the head sticking out, then drawn them each down flush, then go back and tighten.

They are meant to hold the carbs at very specific dimensions, sometimes requiring some flexing of the carb bodies to get it all to line up.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 02:28 AM.

Comment

You've been given good direction on how to remove the broken bolt that isn't harming anything. Follow the directions it will work. I'd be afraid to even try to help you out with the vitriolic spewing you've done in your other "Help Me, come to my birthday party" thread. You don't know how to appreciate good, free help, you even seemed happy about how well your bike was running, for a fleeting moment. I could understand the rage and all if you'd just paid Chef $100.00 or more for the job he did for free, but there's absolutely no logic to your raging. I hope your "friends" are treated better, or do you buy them all?

Comment

Do what? Break a bolt in my carb? He already did that.

In fairness was it not the person who installed the cheap stainless fastener without anti-seize who broke the bolt?

Take the plate off and slot it. It may even spin out freely with your fingers now that the tension has been released on the threads.

Comment

T, Nessism and anyone else that wants to try and help this dolt out,
                    may I draw your attention to this thread first: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=174165

He dug a hole, allow him to keep on digging... ALONE!

Just sayin'

Daniel

Comment

I had thought of the head shearing off due to pressure when it was under load. I have seen this in other applications as well as in carbs on bikes.

The vibration alone could have done this. I do not know about the grade of stainless bolt used but better to pop the head off then pull out the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                        In fairness was it not the person who installed the cheap stainless fastener without anti-seize who broke the bolt?

Take the plate off and slot it. It may even spin out freely with your fingers now that the tension has been released on the threads.

Another tip: Don't tighten down any of those rail mounting screws until they are all in place with the head sticking out, then drawn them each down flush, then go back and tighten.

They are meant to hold the carbs at very specific dimensions, sometimes requiring some flexing of the carb bodies to get it all to line up.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 02:31 AM.

Comment

If the bolt has only just been put in it'll come out easily. You might even be able to use a flathead on it as it is without getting the dremel out.

I suggest that you find a better bolt to replace it with (and maybe the others). There's recent thread on here about the strength of SS bolts and that one must be weaker than the ones I've seen made out of dough. A decent SS bolt in there wouldn't have snapped - it would have comfortably stripped the threads off the carb first.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks, ill try and do that, im just trying to repair the damage another forum member did to my bike when he installed the bolt without anti seaze and broke it.
                            Simply not putting anit-sieze on a bolt is not going to cause it to break.

Can't tell you how many times I have put stainless (and other new) bolts in the carbs, have not had any problems. One question that I have, though, is ... were the bolts the proper length? You said you got them at the hardware store, not at a place that sold them with that particular application in mind. If they ere too long and hit the bottom of the hole before clamping on the rail, I might see it snapping unexpectedly, but even though Chef is not a scrqny guy, I believe he has more finesse than that.

It also helps if you run a tap into all the holes between the time they come out of the dip and the time the screws go in. Cleans out the threads to make sure there isn't something in there to bugger it up.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Use your degree and some common sense and it will come out.

I mean it takes all of 30 seconds to do yet you've been posting negative **** in your other thread and been on this one for HOURS.

Btw, turning it to the left.. is loosening it..

If you haven't even bothered pulling the plate off well.. fail.

Why don't you put a picture of the plate off so we can chuckle at it.

Comment

Working...
                              X