Sync vs Fuel Mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sync vs Fuel Mixture

Hi all i've been trying to adjust my carbs for a few weeks now and have a relatively simple question. Does changing fuel mixture setting throw off balancing? From what i understand once you touch the mixture screw that carb will draw more/less air depending on amount of fuel its getting so you'd have to adjust the sync screw as well to keep them all balanced. Or is it non imperative and once they all are synced once they stay that way?
    I have colortune and 4-gauge balancer so i'm pretty sure i can dial it in pretty close. But then again if say i adjust #3 cyl for mixture make sure its getting nice blue spark, when i move onto #2 and adjust it wouldnt it throw off my #3 adjustment as now it might see different amount of air. Or am i way over thinking all of this?

A little bit of over thinking there.

I will usually do both of those jobs at the same time, while the vacuum gauges are hooked up. I will have the mixture screws set so the bike will start and run, then check the sync. I will then tweak the mixture screws, while also watching the vacuum gauges. If things changed very far, it might show up, but generally speaking, just changing the mixture screws will not affect the sync.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks Steve thats what i was thinking as well but just to be sure had to ask.

Comment

Working...
      X