a petcock question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a petcock question...

The petcock on my GS functions properly when/if I can get it to the correct positions, just to get that out of the way. The problem is that it is very hard to turn the selector lever. Is there an easy fix for this, like wd-40 or disassemble and grease it up or clean it, or should I start shopping for a new one?

To put it's behavior to words: I can move it to prime with a little force, getting it to go to ON is more of a chore, and getting it all the way to RES requires a full nights rest, a hardy breakfast, and about 15 minutes of wrist/hand/finger stretches. Okay, maybe its not that bad, but it can make me get out of breath and red-faced to move it over.

The handle bit has an o-ring that seals things. This turns a plastic cone inside. If there is dirt or other matter like rust then you get excess friction. You can hit it with lube on the outside but gas will wash away anything on the inside.

This is a nice URL lots of pics. Your petcock is no where near as complicated as this one but ti shows what can be done.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 10:27 PM.

Comment

yeah, mine is just the stock one for the 650G. I believe its the original one too, but its hard to tell as the PO said he oly rode it for a couple years and parked it. He got it from another PO and has no info on anything they did to it.

If I have time soon, Ill make a run to Wally world and pick up some wd-40 or grease to attempt to lube it up. Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
        yeah, mine is just the stock one for the 650G. I believe its the original one too, but its hard to tell as the PO said he oly rode it for a couple years and parked it. He got it from another PO and has no info on anything they did to it.

If I have time soon, Ill make a run to Wally world and pick up some wd-40 or grease to attempt to lube it up. Thanks for the quick response.

as far as lube goes a wad of petroleum jelly and a hairdryer will do as good a job as any aerosol.

The really nice thing about the stickiness fo the tap is going from the ON to RES while in traffic.

Comment

a hair dryer? I have heard of using one to help install the carbs/rubber fittings, but what would it do here?

Comment

Play with it a little if you want, but if you think it's the original petcock, the poor bike deserves a brand new one.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
              a hair dryer? I have heard of using one to help install the carbs/rubber fittings, but what would it do here?

Simply melt the petroleum jelly into the crack in the tap.
              Of course you can jam it in with your finger.
              A few twists and turn it should free up a little but this will only be temporary.

Comment

like I said, I dont know the whole history of the bike so it may or may not be the original.
                I know it is temporary, I have seen plenty of old O gaskets and how useless they can be, butI want something that will hold me over until I can afford to put out for a brand new one, or even a rebuild kit.

Ill get out there right now, given I can find some vasoline around here, and try it out.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Alright, I tried it and got frustrated so I started doing some searches.
                  I have read a lot on here against rebuilding a petcock, but has anyone used and has had success with this kit from Z1?

Comment

I actually tore mine completely down, wiped down everything and since the rubber and plastic was still in good shape I put it back together. It now works properly in all positions, before i only worked in RES or PRI, and would stop gas flow in the RUN position.

Comment

That particular petcock has a tapered plastic barrel piece that swells over time and causes the binding. I suggest you take it apart and check the fit of all the parts inside. You can lightly sand that barrel to remove any burrs, but I doubt lube will help much other than provide short term relief.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X