Air box boot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box boot question

My son purchased this 1982 GS650E to teach his wife how to ride. The PO said that it had been sitting 2 years(I think more like 5). Thanks to this forum, some help from Steve's valve adjustment spreadsheet and Basscliff's site, I have been able to get it running. Valves have been adjusted, Carbs have been cleaned(after sitting with gas in the bowls) and new o-rings installed(from cycle o-rings). New carb holder o-rings installed and petcock replaced. The problem I'm having is with the airbox boots. The 2 outer boots are fine. The boot for #2 carb is very stiff, but I can make it seal. The #3 restricted boot is torn and will not seal. This part is NLA for the GS650E. Does anyone know of a source or substitute for this other than replacing with pods? I would rather not have to re-jet the carbs, but will if I have to. The bike runs good, but I do have the hanging idle issue and an erratic idle. I can't synch the carbs without repairing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're very quick:

BIN ends in 3 hours

Or in Europe (cheaper too for a change)

✓In stock now: TUBE,OUTLET,INNER ✓Manufacturercode: 13881-34500 ✓Genuine Suzuki part
    Last edited by hampshirehog; 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. iambutterbean,

Your work is commendable. You are drawing on some very good resources.

Is there really that much difference between the inner and outer airbox boots? They don't seem like they would be that much different. It seems all the airbox boots for the GS650G are still available. Do you think those might work? I'm just thinking out loud here, I have no first hand knowledge with the 650E airbox.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I must have missed it on Ebay. Just purchased it. I had found a set of used boots for a GS650G, but they are not the same. This should get me going. Thanks again.

Comment

The 650G uses 2 inner and 2 outer boots with a slightly different airbox. The 650E has a restricted boot in the #3 position. I'm afraid without the restriction I might still have the idle issues. This is what the correct one looks like.

Thanks to hampshirehog I was able to get this one off of Ebay. I must have missed it when I searched earlier. This forum and Bikecliff's site have made it possible to get this bike running again. I think I'll keep it after my daughter-in-law learns how to ride.

Comment

Welcome, and glad to hear you have it running as it should again, we love a happy outcome.

But we love pictures too, where are the pics, you know we love pics.................

Comment

I'll get some pictures as soon as I can find my camera. I lost it about a month ago.
              Have to keep the bike idled up at about 1500 to keep it from going dead. Other than that it seems to do ok. I can idle it down, but with the erratic idle, I have to feather the throttle to keep it running and the idle still hangs. Hopefully the air box boots will correct this. I've ordered #3 boot from Ebay and the others from Babbits. I've done some checking and found that my carbs don't have the original jets. The pilot jet is right at a 42.5, but the main jet should be 97.5 and it is 110. The pilot air jet is 160 and should be 175. It looks like one of the PO's put aftermarket kits in them. I just reused the old jets thinking they were correct. At least I wrote down the numbers to verify they were all the same in all carbs. The jets that are in it are for a GS650G instead of a 650E. This could be some of my idling problem along with the boots. Any opinions on how it will run with these jets and a properly sealed air box. I will try to find the correct jets in to put everything back stock for a good baseline.
              Thanks again for the great site guys.

Comment

Does anyone know where to get a #175 pilot air jet? It doesn't seem to be made anymore. How much will effect will the #160 jets have on how it runs? The 97.5 main jets are no problem, but I'm having trouble finding the pilot air jets. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X