Vacuum prob? Only runs on prime..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum prob? Only runs on prime..

Hey guys. Got her all put back together, and it fired right up when I had it on prime. Once fired it put it to ON and a little later it will die.. I have the hose from the small port on the petcock running to the connection on the third carb. Is it a vaccuum problem? What am I doing wrong? Is it OK to leave it on Prime while its running, as long as I remember to switch it off when I shut her down?

Here are all the things i recently did..
    *New Intake Boots and O-rings
    *Carbs cleaned by Chef
    *New airbox boots
    *New air filter (UNI)
    *Weatherstripped airbox side covers
    *New OEM petcock
    *Clean tank
    *New plugs
    *Fresh oil/filter

Thanks in advance

Make sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank. I would say at least a gallon and a half.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I'll just say the little I know of, hope it helps. The petcock I'll assume is a vacuum operated one. You have a fuel line then a vacuum line. The vacuum line goes inbetween the #2 and #3 carbs on the nipple and you don't need the prime on to start it if it's primed. You just hit the starter and the vacuum pull from the carbs/cylinders opens the petcock and allows fuel to flow. Good luck, I had to post that one also. The other two between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 nipples are vent lines that should run over the top area of the airbox. Good luck, oh yea to follow what octain said plenty of fuel, I did this one also.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        Make sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank. I would say at least a gallon and a half.
        That could definitely be my problem! I only put a little bit in because I figured Id have to remove the tank and whatnot to get them all synced up. I shall give that a try.. Wish me luck!

Thanks!

Comment

If it runs on Pri and Res but not On, it's time to hit the gas station.
          Ask me how I know...

Comment

Good for you, glad Octain had the right answer, thats why I like this place so much.

Comment

Originally posted by skubasteve! View Post
              That could definitely be my problem! I only put a little bit in because I figured Id have to remove the tank and whatnot to get them all synced up. I shall give that a try.. Wish me luck!

Thanks!

Been there done that.
              Keep an eye on the petcock anyway. Ya dont want it dumping fuel into your crankcase contaminating the oil.
              Been there too..
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Perfect guys. That seemed to be the problem, ran just fine and dandy after I filled her up some more.

I do however have two more problems to address. Hopefully they can be answered here instead of making a new thread.

1.) When I moved the throttle, it seemed to stick a little bit until I moved it back into position. Did I hook the cables up wrong, or route them wrong?

2.) After it ran for a little while it started to have a slight burn smell and I noticed some white smoke coming from what seemed to be the area where the gear oil goes... Do I just need to change out the gear oil? I assume I may have gotten some fuel in there from before when my tank/carbs/petcock were all messed up.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I would be nowhere without this site. Once I get some extra cash I will be donating.

Comment

Gear oil?

I'm assuming you mean the engine oil

Just ride it about 50 miles and see what it does
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Noo... I meant gear i think..

Mine is chain, it still has gear oil i assume.

Comment

Im not too sure about the burning/smell from the gear oil area. Perhaps just some residual oil or something burning off from the heat of the motor.
                      The sticky throttle could be a number of things, cables carb linkage... Just follow the cable from one end to the other.. Most likely you'll find a worn area in the throttle tube or the housing where to tube and the cable come together.

Keep us posted!
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        Just ride it about 50 miles and see what it does
                        I agree. Will prolly burn off.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Its an air cooled engine..if its gonna sit in the drive or gargae for any length of time running have a fan on high speed bowing into the front of the engine..one on each side is better..it needs to be cooled to prevent an overhaet situation...
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The cables may be a bit rusty in the sleeves..run some light oil down them and work them a bit..see if that loosenes them a bit.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks everyone.. after lots of searching. Im waiting for the manual to download as I probably routed them wrong.. that might be my problemo

Comment

Working...
                              X