Carb or petcock problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dluszcz View Post
    OK. So far, so good. An hour plus and no leak. Not even wetness around the nipple.

So, now I will put the carbs on, ride the bike for a couple of hours, unhook the overflow tube, and put some blue shop towel piece underneath to catch any possible leak.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

Otherwise, off they come again and I'm going to do the wet float test with Sandy's information.
    Check my signature: To measure is to know.

Even if the bike doesn't puke fuel on the ground, that doesn't mean the fuel height is correct. I've very carefully set float height before only to have the fuel level about the desired height. If the float needle springs don't support the weight of the float it will mess up the height no matter how careful you measure.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I will definitely take note of that. I have enough hose leftover to do the wet float test.

But, since the bowls were already filled up with fuel, I figured it would be a good time to mount them and test it out.

Either way, I've become so good at removing and installing the carbs that I could do it blindfolded!

When I'm done, I'm hoping to have no gas on the towel after about an hour.

Then, off the carbs come again after work tomorrow. The Bulls are on shortly and I will not be working on the bike while the game is on. Therefore, the wet float test will have to be tomorrow after work.

And, thanks, Sandy, for the pic. This makes complete sense and now that I know where to smash it, I will be able to get an accurate wet float height.

Comment

Just got back from a couple laps around the block.

Keeping my fingers crossed that there is no wet spot on the blue paper towel!

Then, I only have 1 more time to remove the carbs, dump the bowls, and check the wet float height.

Comment

Well, I guess I can chalk this up to a learning experience. Still no leak and I took a look at the bowl that I had on there in the first place. I noticed something odd about it.

On the outside of the bowl, the nipple looked like it had been epoxied or something. The base of the nipple didn't look like the other bowl that I used to compare it to.

I figured that since I wasn't going to use that particular bowl any time soon, I wanted to see if I could turn this. Using small pliers, I went to grab the rod that is on the inside of the bowl. Putting very little pressure on it, I ended up cracking the rod all the way to the base of the bowl. There must have been a hairline crack and I just finished it off.

So, this whole time, the gas was leaking from somewhere in the middle of the rod, and that's why no matter what I tried, it continued to leak.

I just got lucky by deciding to switch bowls. Otherwise, I'd still be seeking advice on this particular issue.

I'm hoping that this wraps up this particular thread. In the morning, I hope to find no wet spots on the cardboard that I placed under the carbs. And if so, I can ride with a little more peace of mind and I can finally fill the tank up again. Moving a full gas tank was tough til I rode some of the gas out while trying to solve this problem.

I still have plans to pull the carbs and do the wet float test. I still need some thicker clean tubing to do this. Going to the hardware store (they are also a snow mobile dealer) tomorrow to get something to fit the bowl for this test.

Thanks to all for your advice, information, and help. I still learned a ton, as usual, from everyone on here!

Comment

Sounds like you found the problem. I'm working on bikes with a couple of friends in Brookfield this weekend, was gonna suggest you bring it by or if you were close..

You don't want to pull the carbs to do the wet test. I set mine with the bike running.
            -1980 GS1100 LT
            -1975 Honda cb750K
            -1972 Honda cl175
            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

How ironic. I moved from Brookfield up to Johnsburg. My son is still in Cicero and my brother in Stickney.

Maybe I can ride the bike down there anyway some weekend. It's only 55 miles. Would love to get it out on the highway for a little bit.

And, since you've done the wet float test with the bike running, I will definitely have to get down there so you can show me how to do it correctly. I'm always looking for opportunities to learn and I'm still not entirely comfortable with some of the tests I do because of the lack of experience.

Comment

Here's the link to the photo of what was cracked.

Keep in mind that the crack was not this bad when it was leaking. But, it was the source of my leak as there is still no wet spot on the cardboard.

Comment

In the computer business that's what we call a humbler. Glad you found it because you sure had most of us scratching our heads. You can do the wet test with the carbs mounted if you want, you'll just need a slightly longer tube to reach the inside carbs and then use the float bowl from an outside carb for your reference point, that'll be plenty close enough. That's to check them, you'll obviously be removing them if you have to change the level but I've been able to do the outside carbs in place. You do things like that if you have a stock airbox. And don't mash the tube, just shave it to a taper.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                  https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

That problem was pretty involved. With baffling problems like these where your at your wits end trying to find a solution, when you do find it, everything makes sense as to why it was doing what it was doing. Hopefully you won't have anymore gremlins on that bike to deal with and
                    you can get some worthwhile worry free riding in.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X