What carbs do I have??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What carbs do I have??

So one thing that has bothered me since owning my gs750 is that the carbs are not the same as what I find in the manual. I always figured it's just a minor change for that particular run. Anyhow, the physical difference is that underneath the carb no fuel mixture adjustment screw exists, the needles are all slightly different, they have two fuel taps between carbs 1 and 2 then carbs 3 and 4, and the top cap on the carb is different from all the other I've seen. When I get home tonight I will pull what numbers I can find off them, but I wondered if anyone might be able to recognize them.

Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2011, 03:51 PM.

Ok I looked em over tonight and couldn't find any other letter/number on them besides mic on one side and mikuni kogyo Japan on the other. I took a couple more pics maybe that will help.

Comment

Frog carbs.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, those are not 26SS carbs

What do the bottoms look like?

2 fuel taps? Sounds like those are the vents
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Those don't look like VM Smoothbore carbs either. Maybe from a Kawasaki?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll have to get a pic of the bottom tonight, they are not the smooth bores. This is getting kind of interesting now... when I bought the motorcycle I noticed some holes in the rear rim and was told by a friend they use to do that and drive a screw in to prevent the tire from spinning on the rim during drags. So far everything else has been stock in appearance besides the 4 to 1 kerker, pods, and possibly now this.

Comment

Just found them, thanks for the tip on Kawasaki as these look identical to carb pictures from a z1.

Comment

Comment

Ok, this gets even more interesting as the pic just posted by adler is the exact carb minus the float bowl. I looked up the 75 z1 and found the top to be the same then found the bowl to be the exact same as the 76 kz900. Mine has the side screw on the float bowl. So it appears to be a vm 28 of some sort...

Comment

Like this?

Comment

If it's a Z1 carb set, it will have an accellerator pump on #2
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That is it Adler what is the model of that carb? and it has no accelerator pump on 2.

Comment

They're furriners from a Kawasaki. No fuel screws - too complicated for Kwacker owners.....
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Here's all the info you can need on that set of carbs...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

On the bottom of that page it has settings and whatnot, though I suspect they may not be applicable to you.

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas, it's def. the late model vm28sc. I already had tuned them by ear and synced them but it will be nice to have the factory sheets on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X