Gasket Surface, Float Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket Surface, Float Height

When measuring float height with the gasket removed, where do you put the caliper. On the gasket surface, there is a little raised line that goes all the way around the bowl. It's probably about .5 MM high. Should you base your caliper on the top of that little raised line or on the lower level of the gasket surface? I guess the line is there to make a good seal. I know about where to measure on the float. Thanks, Jim M
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

I believe it is on the surface where the gasket sits... going through same thing right new... next question is, how hard is the little metal tab supposed to be to bend to adjust float level? Carb one is being stubborn and not wanting to let me bend it.

Comment

The gasket sits so that it covers the entire area including the little raised line. I'm measuring from the area a little lower so if anything, my measurement will read a little higher?? To bend the tab, I just stick a standard screwdriver in there and lever it a little bit. I kind of grasp the float assembly with one hand while using the screwdriver with the other. Not sure if this the advised method.
      1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Hi,

Float height is measured without the float bowl gasket. You can measure with the gasket in place but be sure to subtract the width of the gasket. Measure the floats on both sides to ensure uniformity.

Click below for more information:

Carb Specs: Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff0

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Measure the floats on both sides to ensure uniformity.
          As Cliff says, the floats are often bent a bit from side to side so be sure to measure both sides to insure the proper dimension. Might have to tweak that metal connecting bar a bit to level them out.

I measure from the flat without the gasket installed...

Also, make sure the tab is "just" touching the float valve pin, not depressing it.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Yeah, I measured from the flat right next to the little raised line. On all 4 of my floats, both sides measured virtually identical. I raised all my floats to a little over 22.4mm. They had been about 21.4mm. I was getting one sooty plug. I made sure I got good spark to that cylinder (coil relay mod, etc) and determined compression was okay. Valves shimmed also. Multiple tweaks of Dynojet needle. Float height seemed like all that was left to tweak. .Riding today produced good results. We shall see.
            1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

[QUOTE= I was getting one sooty plug. [/QUOTE]

Might want to look at syncing the each carb to the cylinder using a manometer and since you have the carbs off, check the tightness of each jet. Dont over torque them, just make sure each jet is snug. Keep at it and your bike will run well. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, yeah I forgot to mention I also synced the carbs. I'm up from 27 mpg to 34.5 mpg around town and figure I can get close to 40 mpg on the road. More important, all the stumbles and hesitations seem to be resolving. Guess I'm making progress bit by bit.
                1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Working...
                X