Carb rebuild gone horribly wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild gone horribly wrong

My first carb rebuild on is going horribly wrong. I was installing a Dynojet kit since it was never re jetted when the V&H exhaust on. NO it wasn't me that did it either. So as I was to install the kit, install new o rings, and dip them since they were a good majority apart. I mean might as well I have them apart, right? So here is how it has gone.

First I lost the main jet washer some how. Have no idea how or where that went. I am doing it according to the carb clean up series. Egg cartons and all.

Next I lost the needle jet spring. This happened when trying to remove the snap ring and the slide went flying. It took me hours laying on the floor with two flashlights to find everything. Well everything but the spring.

The third thing that happened was the air pilot jet was stuck and stripped the head. Got it out but needed a new one. Sent Chef a message and he got me the spring and jet. Got the main jet washer off ebay.

No this is where I am about to lose it. Last carb to do, the number 3 carb. I started taking it apart and cant get the idle adjuster bracket of and mar the head a little. So i figured I would leave it and move on to something else. I next tried to remove the rails cause I was only taking one carb off them at a time. One screw on the bottom rail was giving me a hard time so I left it and moved on. I removed the slide and everything then pull the bowl off. Took everything out of there and now I am left with the idle screw bracket and the bottom rail. Wanting to take it to work and use a impact driver on the idle screw bracket I went for the bottom rail. I figured I could just move the whole rail to get the screw broke free and it worked. But I did it without putting the bowl back on and broke the choke fuel circuit pick up tube. Now what?

Can this be replaced? I can't seem to find a new one to replace the broken one. Do I have to get a whole new body? I need all the help I can get. A simple clean and rejet is going to cost me a fortune.

This is all my best friends fault. He jinxed me by saying that me doing this I am going to break and or lose everything for these carbs. That I shouldn't of messed with it. I know I was running lean I had some blueing on my headers and had a pop when I let of the throttle.

Man you were born under a blighted star.
    I just wonder what else can go wrong for you.

You have my sympathy. If I had parts I would donate them but alas I do not.

Did you buddy use the spring is sprung joke on you. That would have been hillarious.

Comment

Learn by doing Jason. Put an ad in the Parts Wanted forum for a carb body. $hit happens. No biggie.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

jason,
        i have a lot of 34/36 GS vacuum carb parts.
        i have sold most of my complete racks but i have busted a part a few sets to sell people body's and such.
        a nice punch/chisel/drift all work well for removing stuck screws if your careful.

let me know if i can help.
        one state over ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          jason,
          i have a lot of 34/36 GS vacuum carb parts.
          i have sold most of my complete racks but i have busted a part a few sets to sell people body's and such.
          a nice punch/chisel/drift all work well for removing stuck screws if your careful.

let me know if i can help.
          one state over ya know.
          I need the #3 CV 34mm. Do you have just a body or even a complete carb so I have some extra parts just in case?

Comment

i called you a little bit ago...left message.
            p/m also.
            i have a real nice black 83 #3 carb i just checked out....nothing stuck or stripped or broken.

Comment

Working...
            X