Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem

Hey Guys & Gals,Need a little help with a starting problem on a 1980 GS550E Purchased bike with carbs dismantled (PO stated bike ran great prior to carb removal just had them off for routine cleaning, he had a large bike collection) got them all cleaned up and assembled but having a starting issue, Bike will start if I remove plugs and spray starter fluid in cylinders and then it runs great has a little bit of a high idle around 1400rpm rides great power band is good will restart thru out the next couple of hours without issues, If I go to restart later in the day or the next day or two I have to use starter fluid again. Have mixture screws set at 2 1/2 turns out. Not sure if it would be a problem with enrichment circuit

Yes .
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

found a good article and cut away on the Enrichment circuit

Do you have a bike that won't start when cold no matter how much choke you give it? Does it take a bit of starting fluid to get it to spring...

Comment

im having exactly the same issue. When the bike is running at first does it respond to enrichment lever if it does you know that probably isnt the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
          im having exactly the same issue. When the bike is running at first does it respond to enrichment lever if it does you know that probably isnt the problem.
          already pulled carbs this morning upper siphon tube is clear, all bottom (on bowl) ones or blocked no fluid or air will pass, soaking right now in carb cleaner and then gonna use wire from a bread tie to clean. Oh and it would respond to choke

Comment

hope you figured out your problem. i'll check mine too then.

Comment

only problem is finding something strong enough yet small enough to probe that starter jet hole, Article suggest a drill bit...Might have to run to parts store

Comment

and I will keep you updated

Comment

when i was cleaning those passages i took a spring from a pen and just pulled it out a bit it stiff enough to take most of the gunk out also if you spray carb cleaner make sure that hole isnt pointing in your face. i know mine were clean a month ago but just in case something came from the tank/gas ill take a look at mine.

Comment

Have you adjusted the valves?

Comment

when i was cleaning those passages i took a spring from a pen and just pulled it out a bit it stiff enough to take most of the gunk out also if you spray carb cleaner make sure that hole isnt pointing in your face. i know mine were clean a month ago but just in case something came from the tank/gas ill take a look at mine.
                      ok let them soak for awhile and took a straight dental pick to them fits perfectly have a little bit of flow now so soaking for awhile more

Comment

Originally posted by Mith View Post
                        Have you adjusted the valves?
                        Nope why???

Comment

its number one problem of hard cold starts when valves are too tight. i assumed you checked yours already.

Comment

its number one problem of hard cold starts when valves are too tight. i assumed you checked yours already.
                            nah, it is easier pulling carbs off then messing with valve lash and Enrichment circuit is a more probable cause. If it wouldnt start at all or rolled smoke out of exhaust I would have gone to valves first

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Walter,

Everything starts with clean carbs, well adjusted valves, sealed air intake system, and healthy charging system. If you don't know the history of the bike, or if any of these systems have never been serviced by you, it's a great idea to take care of these things to avoid trouble down the road. Difficult cold starts are a symptom of tight valve clearances. But hard starts can be symptomatic of other issues too. That's why we like to share a couple of maintenance lists to be sure that all of the essentials get covered. You'll find the lists in your "mega-welcome". Here it comes....

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X