GS650GT carb strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GT carb strip

Right , Stripped the carbs off tonight, removed choke rod, drained fuel bowls , attempted to loosen the first screw holding the gang rail that holds the carbs together and , it tight !! I have a proper kit for all sizes of screws and have chosen the right bit to fit the screws, but even with a 1/4" drive ratchet on it , it reluctant to budge, i havent gone any further tonight as i was hoping for tips on removal before chewing any screws, any advice will be appreciated, and no doubt more questions as we proceed further, bear with me folks , cheers jon

well if you have one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

if not
    Vice grips then just buy new screws at hardware store,

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
      well if you have one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

if not
      Vice grips then just buy new screws at hardware store,
      Forget the newer Vicegrips- made in China, jaws are not as hard as the oldies. A 6" long old time vicegrip would grab the screw heads end on with no problem.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Give every screw a squirt with 3-in-1 penetrating oil (not WD40). It works remarkably well on carb screws - I don't ever even start taking them to bits without using it.

You'll also need it when unscrewing the pilot jets - don't attempt it without oiling first.

Available in Halfords, B&Q etc - in a copper coloured can. Nothing works like it.
        Last edited by hampshirehog; 05-06-2011, 05:43 PM.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Forget the newer Vicegrips- made in China, jaws are not as hard as the oldies. A 6" long old time vicegrip would grab the screw heads end on with no problem.
          yep new ones will twist

Comment

Right chaps, left them soaking in SAS penetrating fluid that we get at work !!!! and went out an hour later and placed the hex drive with the right size bit in the first screw and gave it 2 or 3 swift blows with a ball pein hammer too shock the thread, and it worked a treat, came undone no problem, needless to say 16 screws later and the same result, so tomorrow i can separate the carbs after centre punch i.d,ing them and do one at a time, i,ll keep you posted,all the o-rings and bolts etc have arrived now aswell .. one question before i shut up and go to bed, is , after putting the air screws back in what should be the starting point for running ? 1 1/2 or 2 turns from stop ?. cheers all

Comment

Start about 3 turns out and then tune from there. It will get you started well enough to test everything and then adjust using the highest idle method.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

update

Well guys I,m well into the carb strip/re-build now, I,ve added a couple of pics which require two questions answering, first is , on carb 3 from left, when I stripped the float bowl off there was a rubber washer on top of the gasket, after removing the gasket there was a alloy cylindrical plug which blocks the airway off to the inlet tract !!! surely this rubber washer should be fitted on top of the the alloy plug before re-fitting the float bowl gasket, heres a pic of the alloy plug with the washer fitted before fitting the gasket

And while were here, I stripped the far left inlet manifold off and wow what a mess, could this have been causing the ill running ? it was covered in silicone too, when I removed the o ring it broke up and was very brittle, heres a pic too.

Your thoughts gentlemen please, its all going to plan though, cheers jon

Comment

Bump !! Come on guys, i need to know about that rubber washer before bolting it back up,

Comment

The aluminium plug goes in the hole first, followed by the rubber spacer, then the bowl gasket.

And YES, that gunk is most of the reason your bike was not running well. Did you contact our friend Robert Barr at cycleorings.com for his o-ring kit for your carbs? He offers a full set of o-rings for your carbs, another set for the intake tubes and even offers stainless screws to hold the intake tubes to the head. We get them for less than $25, but shipping to you might add just a little bit. Well worth the cost, whatever it may be.
                    I ride many bikes.
                    Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

That bad O ring is a big part of your problem - if not the whole problem. And definitely 100% get the O ring kit from Robert Barr http://www.cycleorings.com/#BS_Series_O-ring_Kit Postage is cheap to the UK as it weighs nothing.

Robert's a member here and service is first class.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Yeh I got the cycle orings kit, and the stainless allen headed screw bolts and the intake o ring kit, so hopefully will be running like a good un soon enough, going to take the cam chain tensioner off this weekend and check it out , clean it and re-furb where possible,

Comment

[QUOTE=Datsa Noydb;1414995]The aluminium plug goes in the hole first, followed by the rubber spacer, then the bowl gasket.

Thanks for that, i have put it back right then as I thought, but when I took it apart it was on top the gasket ????

Comment

Working...
                          X