shorty harris race pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shorty harris race pipe

i have a modified harris race pipe fitted to my GS1085 but i fancy shortening it so the exit of the can is just under the footrest.
    any thoughts on looks, performance would be most gratefull as i dont want to chop up a perfectly good harris to find i dont like it!
    i wish i had a decent photoshop program on my laptop
    stay as it is
    92.31%
    shorten the bugger!
    7.69%
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Leave it. Looks great. Shortening it to just underthe peg will make your foot really really hot.
    If anything were to change, I'd actually lengthen it and kick it up toward the back for even more ground clearance. Of course that would add a little bit of weight too so I'd just leave it. IMO

Comment

Leave it as it is. The Harris is iconic on a GS plus I reckon if you shortened it then it could look like one of those crappy made in India header cans they put on cheap bobbers.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I think it looks perfectly proportioned as-is.

Comment

try this out, it a quick photoshop hack

I moved as far forward guessing where it is now shown is where the mid pipe starts to bend in to meet up with the header pipe centered under the oil pan.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post

I moved as far forward guessing where it is now shown is where the mid pipe starts to bend in to meet up with the header pipe centered under the oil pan.
            Not really much of a difference

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post

i am thinking a lot shorter than that.nice pic though,thanks
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

are you talking ab out shorting the can or just moving the can further down on the pipe?

like i said before the bend midpipe is going to be your limit. and from the pic it looks like right where i have the can now is where the mid pipe starts bending in.

it basically sounds like diminishing return then, if you want it even shorter you need a different header and mid pipe. or a stuby can.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

i can take 8" off the pipe between the exit from the bend off the headers and the can. dont want to shorten the can itself. your photoshop is good mate but it needs another 3 or 4" off it i think
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

+1 for leave it as is.....the shorty cans look acceptable on a hacked fighter, probably not so good on your nicely done bike. At any rate, don't bother with it, till you finally want that bike outta the living room.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      +1 for leave it as is.....the shorty cans look acceptable on a hacked fighter, probably not so good on your nicely done bike. At any rate, don't bother with it, till you finally want that bike outta the living room.
                      its the only place i got to keep it. i havent got a garden or a garage and im certainly not leaving it outside!
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

I believe you should leave the Harris pipe intact...
                        I'm curious about the components you used to build your bike.
                        My GS 1000 XP goes along the same lines by using GSX R 1100 K wheels, brakes and suspension.
                        What is your front end made off?
                        sigpicJohn Kat
                        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                          I believe you should leave the Harris pipe intact...
                          I'm curious about the components you used to build your bike.
                          My GS 1000 XP goes along the same lines by using GSX R 1100 K wheels, brakes and suspension.
                          What is your front end made off?
                          hi John, the front wheel is from a GS5OOE, the forks are GSX1100 Katana, kawasaki zx9r caliper, bandit fender and home made slab yokes
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

If you're interested in a performance can check this out. j/k
                            I made a fantastic, super light, super clean, super practical, wok of art, 100% hand made, reall sealed with back pressure and real quite muffler on may 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                              If you're interested in a performance can check this out. j/k
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/shervin...n/photostream/
                              haha very funny
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X