X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Petcock made for Z1 enterprises

Hello fellow GS'ers,

In my search for an oem replacement petcock I came across this from Z1:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

it looks like a Pingel unit, also sold on the website.

Has anyone had experience with the "Z1 petcock" mentioned above?

My plans were to get the vacuum replacement but they are temporarily sold out.

I can get an adapter plate from partsnmore:

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/gs550/?filters[category]=carb&filters[fitting]=universal

Also will this 'high flow' valve need bigger jets on my 1981 GS5550T

Thanks guys for your time, especially since this is another petcock question.

Or, you could get the adapter from Z1 also: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1741

Daniel

Comment

The petcock when working properly has nothing to do with the carb jetting. The motor could go lean if it doesn't flow enough.

Comment

These petcocks arrived late last week. They are very new for us. We'd struggled with inconsistent quality with different brands of inexpensive aftermarket petcocks - and stopped selling those after getting several complaints from the last few batches. We'd explored a few different options before settling on these. These are a better design and much more solid.

Comment

Those do look sweet Jeff. I wish you would have had those a few years back. They look every bit as good as a Pingel for way less money.

Comment

It would be handy if it had some measurements on the photo. Some of us are always struggling to find a tap that clears the top of the carb or misses a side panel etc.

Can't complain about the tap it appears to be replacing. If it's as good i'll get one next time I need one.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              It would be handy if it had some measurements on the photo. Some of us are always struggling to find a tap that clears the top of the carb or misses a side panel etc.

Can't complain about the tap it appears to be replacing. If it's as good i'll get one next time I need one.
              I had that problem with my Pingel. I had to shim the back of the tank to make room. Later I raised the mounting points up front on the frame so the side panels would match up like they should.

Comment

Im glad you got a replacement Jeff, I used one of the aftermarket vacuum petcocks from you guys and it lasted approx 3 weeks before it started to leak.
                I hope these ones work better for you.

Comment

Is it avaiLable with the correct size barb for our GS bikes?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Or, you could get the adapter from Z1 also: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1741

Daniel

I think it's the $25 for the Z1 adapter vs. the $6 Partsnmore adapter. I'm all for you get what you pay for and supporting Z1 but for an adapter plate, I'll think I'll go $6.

Comment

When mounted in a Pingel adapter plate, the combined adapter plate and petcock hang down 55mm to the very lowest point on the petcock.

The Pingel adapter plates are expensive. But unlike the partnmore version, they have the bolt holes recessed so the mounting bolts sit inside the plate and flush with the bottom of the plate. We will be getting some adapter plates made for us as I agree the pingel ones are too expensive.

TKent02 - we will be getting some 5/16" outlet petcocks in shortly. The GS's with the VM26's use the 1/4" version.

Landshark, those vacuum petcocks are made by the same company making the Suzuki ones - if you buy from Suzuki it's an identical petcock. Where was it leaking? We have rebuild kits for those.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                        Thanks for the reply.
                        It definitely isnt the same as the genuine suzuki, as the hoses are not on the same side(Suzuki hoses come out the front, non-genuine come out the rear).
                        It was leaking fuel through into the carbs.
                        I have rebuilt a petcock before, but i wont bother doing that again.
                        I probably should have given you feedback in a more private manner, sorry about that. I only mentioned it because you said you have had problems before.

Comment

Jeff-

I agree that the adapter plates are too expensive, and that is the only reason that I am looking at the partsnmore version. I am glad to hear that you will be having more economical adpater plates available. Any idea how soon that could be? Also thank you for providing the measurements

Comment

Working...
                          X