No announcement yet.

neighbour-friendly-exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve You're right they look a Lot like those mufflers. Only thing i see that differ from them is the mounting bracket. But other then that its spot on :P

But... next question: with these mufflers the bike would probably have to been rejetted, or I'll have to do it soon i guess?
    (but first add some wrapping and/or steel balls)

put some more pics on

Comment

Originally posted by Theamania View Post
      Mysuzyq These ones were apparently Not stock, since i was able to pull out the innards of them, and notice there was No wrapping at all. (and the previous owner decided that it was a smart idea to weld it shut.. no idea how he was thinking there)..

Yes, I noticed from your earlier picture they were not stock....my point was that there are European aftermarket mufflers available to you that are not offensively loud (if you choose to go that route)... Agemax could recommend some, I reckon.
      Looks like the previous owner had a go, in trying to make them quieter by adding the welds. Your bike would probably run a lot better if you did away with his mods, and put in some fibreglass-wrapped baffles to mellow out the sound somewhat.....I agree it's now on the loud side, though it has a healthy rumble to it.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Mysuzyq Thanks! Yes it does sound kinda nice, i would love to "keep the sound" but just a few db's lower
        working afternoon this week, but friday off so then im gonna drill open the ends and see if a little "ghetto modifying" fixes it. Might even rip down the front of the exhaust and paint it while im at it... oh decisions decisions

Comment

Well in case anyone wanted to know, i couldnt remove the darn weld.
          Ended up drilling 7 holes each about 8mm (0.3inches) in diameter and tried to pry out the metal that was welded in the end of the exhaust.. no luck.
          Put the darn mufflers back on the bike, and yepp.. it sure runs a lot better now.
          And the sound? well... Louder thats for sure lol. But also a lot deeper and more pleasant

gonna go for a spin tomorrow after the oilchange and after that who knows, might just cut the mufflers open and rewrap them.

Comment

I'm at the bottleneck start of a neighbourhood of about 100 houses, and out on my porch I hear everything that goes by. The loudest thing around is the HD next door. After that there are a few trucks, several V8 SUVs and pickups. My GS750 with aftermarket pipes is probably not on top ten, unless I hit 7-8000 rpm, which I save for after I get out of the "children playing" zone anyway.
            I can't imagine you really have to worry, unless you're in soccer mom alley...

Comment

btw, when I DO hit 7000 rpm, the noise of this thing is AMAZING!

Comment

Hovmod Lol oh now you Know you have to put a video up on Youtube or something! But no the sound isn't earbreaking or anything close to the neighbour's several old american muscle cars, but i do find it a bit too much for "just a 550"

That plus the inspection coming up at which it would be unnecessary to have it turned down just because i was too lazy to get the mufflers redone

Comment

Loud pipes are for ass holes who can't ride.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X