• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    i don't like FOAM.
    and why would you not trust K&N?
    enlighten us would you
    As someone who builds toys for a living ...I dont like K&N ether ...Why ...

Every chance I get I pull a K&N and feel the intake track and there always dust in the intake ...Always ..........Maybe its just me or the southwest ( have check at races on the eastcoast and found the same too...) I will not back up a motor I build that has a K&N on it ....K&N do breath better and let fine dust in your motor ...Or it could just be people dont know how to oil them right ?...

But the K&N guys at SEMA ask me to leave there booth each year when I ask why ....

I'm sure in OH its not as bad as the hot dry AZ.... But I'm up on the northern platoe of AZ were we are cooler ..And still find fine dust in the intake tracks ...

UNI for me ...Sorry

K&N's make me good money fixing sandblaster motors .. If you run them pull it off and put your fingers down the intake and see if you get dust ... It could just be my luck i'm sure
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I didn't mean to start any arguing haha,

Comment

everyone has there opinion and some may go over board with it.
        and as was stated in this thread by a person with 60k miles on his bike with K&N's.
        if you ride off road/up a lane/on a beach ect..
        then leave your air box on.
        K&N filters are a great filter thats only problem is there price.
        i don't like foam..
        and this is coming from a guy who has built engines and modified peoples motorcycles for a living for many years...
        yes...high performance motorcycles.
        FYI
        leave your stock air box on if you don't want dust in your intakes or if you live or ride in a dusty dirty environment.

and to the original question.
        the APE filters are great for the price as are the K&N look a likes that sell for around 50-60 a set.

Comment

I'm not sure K&N still states this but they used to recommend just reoiling between cleanings. Knock the loose dirt off and re-oil They also stated as a little dirt built up on the gauze they actually filter better. I don't think I have actually cleaned mine but three or four times in all the years they've been on the bike, I've only ever bought one can of oil.

This is from their site:
          4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            i don't like FOAM.
            and why would you not trust K&N?
            enlighten us would you
            Didnt mean to start a ****ing war, but after running them on my Jeep I will never own a K&N filter again.

They are freer flowing than a stock filter because they dont filter! I know comparing a Jeep to a bike is like apples and oranges, but after that experience I am a bit jaded.

Im also a cheap bastid who cant understand paying twice as much for something thats the same or worse than another product.

Comment

I had to replace the rotten Uni's on my '73 Commando a couple years ago. I was happy to find that there were still Uni's available. The flexible nature of the Uni;s allow them to mash in and around the frame tubes easily so they fit with the 34mm Mikunis, where most other easy options did not want to go.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                I'm not sure K&N still states this but they used to recommend just reoiling between cleanings. Knock the loose dirt off and re-oil They also stated as a little dirt built up on the gauze they actually filter better. I don't think I have actually cleaned mine but three or four times in all the years they've been on the bike, I've only ever bought one can of oil.

This is from their site:
                Some good advice here: don't clean, just reoil. And use a goodly bit of oil at that, any excess will get sucked into the engine so no worry.

Uni's are fine but not as durable as fabric type filters. They are cheaper so at least there is some upside to the tradeoff.

Noticed that Partsnmore.com sells cleanable fabric K&N knockoffs now too. They say they are cleanable and can be oiled so maybe they are worth a try for people on a budget? http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/suzuki/gs1000/?filters[category]=carb
                Last edited by Nessism; 05-10-2011, 09:46 AM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                X