Petcock Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Spring

So I've recently purchased a GS450T and am in the process of carb rebuilds, valves, etc.

Took apart the fuel petcock to clean it out and rebuild it as well and had the spring in the back cover 'twang' out before I could see its position.

What I'm interested in is: Does the spring go between the diaphragm and the back cover? Or between the diaphragm and the main body?

Thanks in advanced,
    Jeff

Not 100% sure with your model but it's usually between the diaphragm and back cover (and I can't see whay yours should be any different). Pop it back together, suck on the vac tube, pop your finger over the tube to hold the vacuum and see if it works by blowing the wrong way through the fuel outlet.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks! I had a suspicion that was how it went but just wanted to double check.

Comment

The spring pushes the diaphragm in to close the valve, the vacuum pulls it against the spring to open it and turn the fuel on. Hey did you ever sell that 750?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

SPRING you say??? Hmmm maybe my lack of a spring is why mine is leaking.

Comment

oh crap. that reminds me i have to put that fiddly little spring back in!
            My petcock wasnt working all to great, Res did nothing, ON worked fine and Pri did nothing.
            Took it apart and found that the bottom spring (the one thats shaped like a @ symbol, not the coil looking one) was all mangled.. Put everything back somewhat and now ON and Res work.. not pri tho

Anyone know how they are supposed to look?
            (alternative is to get a new petcock for about 100$
            Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
            X