Fuel line/Vacuum line removal on my GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel line/Vacuum line removal on my GS850

Hey everybody, my first post. Great site, very informative posts on the forum, thanks! Here goes: I have a '81 GS850G, I plan on restoring the tank I have currently on it. My question may sound stupid to the experienced ones on here but what the hell, I need some help. I am under experienced, it's my first bike! How does the fuel line and vacuum line disconnect from the fuel valve? Is it just as easy as pulling the lines off where they connect to the fuel valve? I have a RES, PRI, and ON on the fuel valve. I know the fuel draws via vacuum, when the engine is started, so I will leave it in the ON position, correct me please if I am wrong, that is what it says in my Clymer's manual. I am hestitant to just pulls the lines, they are on there pretty snug. But if that is the case I will do so...any help, suggestions, and answers are appreciated. I look forward to hearing from someone on here. Thanks again.

Look carefully, there might be a clamp of some sort.

Once you are assured there is no clamp. use some pliers to wiggle the hose around the barb on the petcock to break its seal, then pull it off.

Yes, leaving it in ON or in RES is the proper setting.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They are snug for a reason - you don't want them to fall off. Just do what Steve says then take a deep breath and pull. You'll be fine.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Awesome!! What a quick response, thanks Steve and Cowboy. I appreciate it. I owe you a beer, next time you're in Milwaukee. Easy enough it seems, I did not see any clamps, I stared at it for about 10 minutes debating whether to yank them off or not, they look and feel as though they are just attached really snug to the barb as you said. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Polishpower77 View Post
          Awesome!! What a quick response, thanks Steve and Cowboy. I appreciate it. I owe you a beer, next time you're in Milwaukee. Easy enough it seems, I did not see any clamps, I stared at it for about 10 minutes debating whether to yank them off or not, they look and feel as though they are just attached really snug to the barb as you said. Thanks again.
          Thanks.

You have A&W on tap?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X