1981 750L Carb Interchange, other ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 750L Carb Interchange, other ?'s

This may be a stupid question, but I've done a search and can't find a clear, convincing answer.

First, some background...

I'm rebuilding an '81 750L after it sat for 18+ years. This is my very first bike build of any kind, so I'm learning as I go. That being said, I welcome critique / chastisement if I'm missing something obvious, or doing something blatantly assinine.

I've been following the CV carb rebuild guide on BikeCliff's site, and all has been going smoothly (for the most part), until I pulled the last carb (#2, inside left from the rider perspective) out of the dip and tried to remove the pilot jet. This jet has been a PITA on all 3 of the previous carbs, and I destroyed two of them taking them out...which didn't bother me, since I'm putting new jets in them anyways.

So, on this last carb, the jet is stripping out as it has on 2 of the previous 3. I begin my improvised 'easy-out' technique that has been successful on the last two problem children, by gently hammering a #10 torx driver into it and then twisting it out. This time, however, the tip of the torx driver broke off inside the jet. Shenanigans ensue, involving a variety of sharply-tipped objects, screwdrivers, and a 5lb hammer. Several choice words later, and I have managed to shatter the pipe that the pilot jet calls home.

So, we come to my dilemma. This carb body is obviously destroyed, so I need to know what I can replace it with. A quick ebay search found THIS carb body, for what I consider a reasonable price to pay for my over zealous (and obviously stupid) removal attempt. I noted that it said it only fit an '83 750E/ES, but it looks very similar to mine, so I did a little more research.

I pulled up BikeCliff's site, and found THIS chart. According to it, both the '81 L and the '83 E/ES use the BS32SS carbs. The biggest relevant difference between them appears to be the ID and jetting, which again, I'll be replacing with new anyways.

So, I go back to the ebay listing, which luckily has great pics. I grab my now useless hunk of aluminum for comparison, and while they look about 90% identical, there are some definite differences, but in areas that don't appear as if they'd affect function or compatability. But, since I've never worked with these things before and am admittedly clueless, I thought I'd ask the experts. So...
    • Will the #2 carb body from an '83 E/ES work not only with my 3 other carb bodies from the '81 L, but also with the internal / external pieces of my junked #2 from the '81 L?
    • Will the carb mount properly on the gang plate with the other 3?
    • Am I better off for any other reason, i.e. performanc characteristics, so stay with a matched set of carbs?
    • Is there anything else I should know about the '83 BS32SS carbs vs. those on the '80-81 L?
    As a secondary question, I may have the ability to pick up a whole '83 E with a possiby locked motor, but a complete set of carbs. It has no title, but is otherwise complete, and I can pick it up for $500 or less. Would it be worth it to buy this bike for the carbs and/or any other parts and just sell the leftovers, or am I thinking 'overkill' to buy a parts bike just for the carbs and a spare 'builder' engine?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...
    1982 GS1100GL (Sold )(Retrieved!)
    1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
    1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
    1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
    1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
    1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
    1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
    1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
    1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
    1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Im pretty sure they are all the same. can't be 100% certain being as mine is a cv dual carb. But from what i can tell the single bodied carbs are the same just the internals are different.

Comment

All the bodies are the same from the GS750 and GS850 after 1980.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

#2 has the vacuum nipple, so really, it is specfic to an extent

Comment

Working...
        X